Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Box of Vegetables

I've been working a lot lately. A lot. This is a bad thing in the short term for frequent updates to my blog. But, it is a good thing in the long term as I'll be able to afford some biggish projects this summer that I will, of course, photo and blog about.

In the meantime, I did do one exciting thing. Well, for me at least. I signed up for a share in a local CSA (community supported agriculture program), Harmony Valley Farm.

Last summer Adventures in Domesticity posted photos each week when they received their box of garden loot from Harmony Valley. It was a little sad and pathetic how excited I got just to read about which produce they received each week and what they were planning to do with it.

Now, I have a fairly large 8'x15' vegetable/herb garden (for a city house) in my backyard. I can enough tomatoes to last me til the next summer....I freeze pesto that carries me to mid winter....and this coming summer my asparagus & rhubarb should finally be in their prime (knock on wood). However, there are some things I just can't grow without blood, guts and tears. I'm hoping the CSA can help me out in these areas. It should be fun.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Mmm... I keep debating this. It seems like WAY too much food for us, though!

I, too, drool over other's CSA hauls.

Chris said...

Hey,
I just wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for a "You've Made My Day Award." I love your blog! Every time I need to have my spirit lifted, I can count on your blog. Take care, and keep up the great work!

M'elle said...

I lurked here for a while, but love your "old house" + life blog. Much like mine (except you are more educated on houses, it seems!), even the template!
Thanks for including and educating us on restoring an old house!

Ellen said...

I'm glad we inspired you! Now when I have cardoon or something I don't know what to do with, I'll be lurking in your comments section.

I haven't posted in a long time, but should be soon. I feel like I'm coming up for air after a hellish several weeks at work.

The Litter Box House said...

Hey, I've been thinking of signing up for a CSA this summer too! And I have no excuse not to since my health insurance gives a kick back for signing up...

Andrea

Lisa B. said...

yummmmm! Pesto. I've been out for...too long. We bought a share of an organic farm last summer and loved it. Really made us eat right.

StuccoHouse said...

Jennifer - This CSA offeres an every other week option and I'm splitting this. Splitting a box seems to be a common thing to do...I saw it on other CSA websites too. So, I think I should be ok.

Chris - Thanks for the kind words. I really like your blog too (I grew up in a ranch). I'll try to get around to listing my Fav 5 shortly.

M'elle - I love to hear from other old house owners. Glad you read my blog!

Ellen - Lol....what you probably will read are posts about me fretting over my veggies turning brown :-) Thanks for turning me on to Harmony Valley....I'm looking forward to it. I gave them your blog link as my referral....hopefully that worked to get you the CSA referral rewards.

Litter Box - You lucky duck...I checked my insurer and no luck. Sign up and we can form a "what can I do with my veggies" support group.

lisa b. - Pesto is my weakness too. I adore basil.

terri k said...

Thanks for the farm mention! We just got a sign up from someone who found out about us from your blog - who are you? We'll send you a gift cert for the referral!
Terri K,
HVF CSA coordinator

IslandBaby said...

A CSA...that is so exciting! My husband and I did one last year (http://www.bloomingglenfarm.com) and really enjoyed it. I am now completely comfortable with preparing swiss chard and celeriac...we got plenty of it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin