Thursday, December 13, 2007

Mini-Road Trip

This time of year gets a little crazy for me workwise. But every year for the past 5 or 6 yrs. I've reserved one day for shopping. It's become a much needed ritual mini-road trip. In the morning, I go and pick up my clients' gifts.

Then I head north up to the outlet mall. It's the only kind of shopping that doesn't suck the life out of me this time of year. Every store has it's own door, so you don't need to wade through the madding crowd to get to what you want to buy. I'm not a good shopper.

Then, I continue on the road up to my former college. There they have a small store that sells local crafts. Many of the artists are retired professors, so the quality of their work is pretty good. Every year I buy a piece of pottery from my former pottery teacher. I've got quite a diverse collection by now. This year's purchase is a porcelain piece. I usually also stop in the bookstore & buy myself a sweatshirt.....all the while marveling at how all the cell-talking-students look 12 yrs old. (because we know it's not me getting old)

By accident last year, I discovered the the stores in town are not nearly as crowded as they are in Minneapolis, so I usually finish my shopping up there.

Finally, I eat lunch in my favorite sandwich place (BoDiddly's) and then head home.

Christmas shopping completed....and a treat for myself :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Went to SJU myself. Haven't been back in awhile, but do have good memories of BoDid's.

-Guardian

StuccoHouse said...

Such a small world. I was sitting in BoDid's waiting for them to make my sandwich, and I decided the decorations, etc. were exactly the same as when I went to school up there. And I'll admit, that wasn't recently. Waite Park, though, is unrecognizable.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin