Thursday, November 08, 2007

New and Vintage Stoves

In a never ending parade of things that up and quit working at StuccoHouse, my oven has now stopped functioning. The burners are fine; the oven is not.

My current stove is fine. It is a Kenmore with bells and whistles. It's maybe 7 or 8 yrs old. I have never liked it. It has a black front which I find yucky, although I know some people think this is cool. It was filthy when I moved in and I had to scrub, scour & sanitize it top to bottom and that's something you never really get out of your head. It's most likely the stove that took the place of the original old one, and I think it looks silly in a vintage kitchen. The plan has always been to ditch it sometime down the road.

Now that the oven is no longer working (yes, I pulled out the manual and did all of the troubleshooting stuff), this is going to force my hand. I am reluctant to spend even one thin dime fixing the current stove. I have been mulling over my options:

1) Call the repair guy and pay to have current stove fixed; or

2) Buy a new 30" stove - something all white and a little more upper-end than Sears. Then, have a new bank of cabinets built that match my vintage cabinets for the space next to the stove (where there are wall shadows of a missing original cabinet) and include a single drawer dishwasher (with wood front); or

3) Find the vintage 40" stove that in my heart-of-hearts I really want. Forgo the dishwasher due to lack of space, and have a bank of cabinets built to match the originals in the space next to the stove.

I really want to take option three, but there are so many factors involved. First, I need to locate a local stove in good condition. Then, I need to figure out how to get it to my house. I've called around and have a piano mover that would do it for $200.....add another $100-$300 for so for the stove itself! Then I need to make sure it's safe (although there's a lot of info. online on this - I'd still need to find someone to do it).

But the end product of all of that effort, I think, would be one of those Mastercard commericals where it all ends in a warm fuzzy moment with me taking perfectly baked cookies out of my vintage stove and the word "priceless" flashing on the tv screen.

What to do, what to do, what to do.

17 comments:

dynochick (Jan) said...

I like the older stoves but they can be pricey. Also for resale value of your home, a dishwasher might be a must.

What about going with a separate oven and cooktop set in cabinets. Choose a oven that looks the least modern. It will be disquised by the cabinets. Added bonus extra cabinets. Plus use a microwave hood with cabinets above and you've free up some counter space too.

My oven was just hit by a power surge. So I can feel you pain when it comes to not having a working oven......Jan

Anonymous said...

You want the vintage. Everything else in the house you are trying to get vintage. With the work you have been putting into the house, you wouldn't ever be satisfied until there is a vintage stove in the kitchen.

-Guardian

Jennifer said...

Oh, number 3! I have been eying those old stoves for quite some time. We need to run a new gas line to the current stove spot in our kitchen, however, before we can do that!

Cranky Grandma said...

I just drove by a store that is opening soon in N.E.

Restored Vintage stones. There are a couple in the winder that look totally fab. I myself was drooling over the vintage fridge also displayed. I'll keep you posted when it is open. It is on Central Ave

Cranky Grandma said...

also, check this out
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hsh/469645772.html

StuccoHouse said...

Yea, I'm pretty sure I'd only be happy with the old stove route. Now I just need to figure out how to make it happen.

Let's just say my house is a restoration, so keeping the original footprint is pretty important to me. I wrote a longer response yesterday, but I sounded a little fanatical.

Cranky Grandma - Wouldn't the timing on that be great, if a stove restoratin store opened up soon! Keep me posted please! I've spent the past 5 years making LOTS calls about restoring (just the guts)an old stove...even called some of the tech schools....and have looked at a lot of stoves (but wasn't ready to buy).

I did see the Roper (I'm pretty hip to the sources out there) and had her send me photos of the interior. Let's just say it's priced a little high for it's condition.

Ranty said...

Ohhhhhhhh I LOVELOVELOVE vintage stoves!!!

I have seen a few on Craigslist, some working, some not, some cheap, some pricey. Might be worth a browse here and there...

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you've already seen these links, but figured what the heck ... it never hurts to try and help someone realize their very own mastercard moment!

http://www.heartlandapp.com/Classic/Electric_Ranges/

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/links/pages/Appliances/Antique_Appliances/

there are lots of people (like me) who would look past the lack of a dishwasher when buying a home, especially if the restoration of the home seems to be as nice as yours is, ... and your not planning to move anytime in the near future anyways ... right?

StuccoHouse said...

Anon - Thanks for the links. I have been looking at old stoves for a long time...actually my very first blog post back in December 2004 was about trying to find someone local that worked on vintage stoves :-) I just needed some motivation to actually do it.

On the topic of dishwashers and renovated kitchens. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a nice new shiny kitchen with the rest of the world. Maybe some day I will own one in another house. But, because I bought my house in part for it's vintage kitchen, I am doing a restoration and not a renovation. I think a lot of people outside of the "restoration" world are surprised to know what a strong market there is for restored homes. Amazingly, this market doesn't seem to flux to the same degree as the regular house market. I suppose it is subject to a higher level of supply and demand as more and more people pull out the vintage kitchens. But, if you have seen books like "Bungalow Nation" or Jane Powell's bungalow books you can see there is a strong interest in vintage.

I view my house as an investment, so I always keep an eye on the market and at any given time I have a pretty good idea of the price for which it would sell. The condo I previously owned was 100% vintage and I had a few hundred people come through the open house and it sold for well over the asking price :-) It's definitely a nitch market. Lack of a dishwasher doesn't have me too worried (other than for my own personal laziness) :-)

Marie said...

Saw a 1940's vintage stove on Mpls craig's list - I'm in no way affiliated with the poster, I just like old stoves (and people who want them)!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hsh/483936360.html

StuccoHouse said...

Marie - Thanks for the tip. I have been trying to keep an eye on Craig's List - Mpls & out state. That stove is right up my alley, except it's electric. I'm looking for a 40" gas stove.

Last week I saw the perfect pristine gas Wedgewood stove....working order...exceptionally clean..decent price...they would deliver. Then I relaized I was on the Bay Area Craig's List and had forgotten to switch over to MN.

Joe said...

Go for a Chambers stove. They is absolutely nothing like them. I am in the process of fully restoring one and the quality is incredible.

Anonymous said...

Hello-

I happen to have a Roper Model 3 in pretty good condition that I am looking to get rid of. I was raised in a region that did not have gas and I don't trust it and want it gone from my home. If you have any interest at all in it please let me know. I live in a 1923 bungalow in S Mpls and I believe that this is the orginal range---Amiee

StuccoHouse said...

Amiee - I would love to talk to you about your stove!! Why don't you email me at: owner at stuccohouse dot net

3-Oaks said...

Boy, in your search, if you ever run across an old 40" electric, cheap & in good shape, could you leave a note here? I live west of Fargo ND, but have lots of rellies in The Cities. Prefer one with a lg & sm oven & a lg & a sm drawer rather than 2 equal size ovens & drawers, but would consider that, too.

StuccoHouse said...

3-oaks - Will do. I saw a very nice electric stove on Craig's List a few weeks back, but just checked and it looks like it's gone.

StuccoHouse said...

Check my May & June 2008 posts for info. on the vintage Tappan gas stove I bought.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin