Friday, November 02, 2007

Ghost Whisperer

I'm not sure if I should be amused by this or totally freaked out. I'm leaning towards totally freaked out.

Here's the story. Stick with me on this one.

This past week I was in Portland, OR for a work conference. I arrived a day early and was staying in one of the alternate hotels (because I made up my mind to attend kind of late). So, I was a little surprised on the airport shuttle bus when the woman sitting next to me told the driver that she and her friend were attending the same conference and staying at the same hotel as me.

The ride in from the airport was kind of long and as the woman next to me chatted with her friend, I started to think I recognized her voice. I kind of glanced sideways over at her and was pretty sure I had met her before, but couldn't place where or when. For whatever reason, she asked me if I was in town for work. I told her that I was attending the same conference as they were......and then told her I thought we had met before. Long story short, we finally deduced that we had worked in the same department for a company 15 years ago. We marveled at what a small world it was.

We got to the hotel and went our separate ways. About an hour later, I was down in the hotel lobby taking a look at my city map before venturing out, when the two women came down the elevator. They saw me and asked me if I'd like to join them for dinner. So, I did.

We were sitting in the restaurant waiting for our food to arrive and making small talk about what we each had planned for our free time. I told them I was restoring an old house and was going to visit some of the" old house" stores in Portland. My former co-worker asked me where my house was located, and I told her the general neighborhood. She mentioned that a number of years ago she dated a guy who lived in that part of town near a popular local restaurant. I told her that I also lived really close to that place.

She paused for a second and then slowly said her ex-boyfriend's address as she remembered it. It took me a minute before I realized the address she had just said was MY ADDRESS. I even had to repeat my address silently in my head to make sure.

My former coworker's (who I met on a hotel shuttle after 15 years) ex-boyfriend lived in my house. We had to stop talking for a few minutes as our brains imploded.

She had a very detailed memory for what my house looked like. She commented on the quirky bathroom with zero clearance between the toilet & tub. She told me there were little benches on either side of my front door. And she confirmed my suspicions that as late as the 1990's the house still had it's original stove (which of course, points to the realtor who flipped the house as being the one who yanked the vintage stove out - a pox on her and her children.) She even thought she may have some old photos. She confirmed and corrected some of my assumptions about this guy (based solely on my vivid imagination and what I could find in my house abstract). She also told me that he had passed away at a fairly young age.

We had been discussing all this for a bit when she said "I'm not sure if I should mention this or not...." It turns out the the ex-boyfriend has mentioned his thoughts on the after life. Of course, this led us to try to figure out if he was trying to reach her or me.....and how much of a hand he might have had in us meeting on the shuttle, etc. Bizarre, huh? What if he hung around to help me figure out what my house is supposed to look like before passing on into the bright light?

We have plans to meet for lunch & a tour of the house sometime soon.

Freakishly small world, huh?

4 comments:

Omar said...

[keanu]whoa.[/keanu]

Seriously, that's pretty weird. I wonder how many people we come across everyday that have some type of connection to us in some shape or form.

Ranty said...

I was gonna say exactly the same thing: WHOA.

That is crazy.

Greg said...

Mondo Bizarro

StuccoHouse said...

The strange thing is stuff like this happens to me a lot.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin