Monday, November 12, 2007

The Flag

Of course, yesterday was Veterans Day and today is the government observence of it.

I've been making an effort this year to fly the flag on the officially designated flag days. I printed off a list and have it taped to the inside of the door to my front closet, where my flag is stored.

I'm a female who owns her own house and business. I have a good education. I travel wherever & whenever I want. Today I'm wearing jeans, boots and a sweater. I am very aware of the fact that in probably 3/4 of the world....all or at least some of those items would be dramatically different. Restoring a house without internet, wearing a burka while rocks were being flung at me would not be fun.

I figure flying the flag is a pretty easy way to show some of my appreciation to my country and to those people that sacrificed to make sure I could lead the cushy life I lead.

Last summer one of my neighbors & I discussed making an effort to start flying the flag. I noticed yesterday that one of the houses across the street has also been making an effort. It's kind of a fun sight to see when you are driving down the street. I'm hoping a few other neighbors will join in.

One last little tidbit. Did you know that you can request a flag that was flown over the U.S. Capitol? All you need to do is contact your Senator or Representative and place a request. The cost is in the ballpark of $15 to $25.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin