Friday, October 05, 2007

Warding Off Evil Spirits

I've started to paint the rest of the overhang. The underside is beadboard.

While I was up on my ladder, I got to thinking.

Light blue was a popular color for old house porch ceilings. It was called "haint blue." You can still ask for that in paint stores and they will sell you a light blue. According to old house lore, it was used either to ward off evil spirits.....or keep bugs away.

People often mistake the gray paint on the storm windows on either side of the front door for blue. What would it be like to take that same color at 30% or 50% (a light blue-gray) and use it to paint the beadboard?

Too many colors - too busy.....or a neat nod to the past?

8 comments:

Ranty said...

DEFINITELY a neat nod to the past.

(Your house looks SO great!)

Kathy from NJ said...

I'd certainly try it.

Carol said...

It sounds pretty. And in such a small area, if you don't like it you can fairly easily repaint.

cristina said...

You should be doing this for a living! I vote for the blue.

Omar said...

Wow that looks great! Hmm I've never heard of this old house paint lore. That is too cool. I'll have to look into that. :)

Fargo 1928 said...

Oh, totally go for the blue! I've never heard that paint lore before, but I like it. I might just have to paint my ceiling too. I'll add it to my list of 'someday' projects.

StuccoHouse said...

Thank you all for your encouragement! Blue it is.

Cristina - There are days when I think it would be really fun to do something old house-ish for a living.

Omar & Fargo - Think big old southern houses with wrap around porches. I think GA specifically is really into blue ceilings. But I figure if it kept their evil spirits away, can't hurt to try here up north :-)

Old PMQ said...

I read your comment about "haint blue"...before I found this blog I had decided that the front door *had* to be this light blue/grey called "Pacific Mist".
Let's hope it keeps evil away from old PMQs as well as bungalows!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin