Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Slip Joints

My dad came to the rescue and helped me solve my kitchen sink plumbing problems. When he heard my tale of plumbing woe, he called me and told me he could probably show me how to fix it.

We were a little concerned about how tightly the old pipes were melded together, so the night before the repair I sprayed WD40 on all of the joints.

The J trap (forgive me if I don't get these names just right) came out surprisingly easy. The sink drain also popped up, so we decided now was the time to replace that too. So, off to the hardware store we went. I chose the local hardware store with the widest product selection, but the more inexperienced staff. We brought the old pipe & drain with us....and the guy in the plumbing dept. picked out replacement pieces for us and sent us on our way.

We were out in the parking lot of the hardware store and I was feeling all optimistic. I told my dad that this looked like it was going to be a breeze. My dad kind of chuckled and told me that plumbing jobs had a way of going wrong.

We got home, took out the new pipes and began fitting them in place. For some reason the top end of the J trap would not secure to the pipe coming out of the wall. We spent some time trying to figure out what was going on, when all of a sudden my dad realized what the deal was. The pipe coming out of the wall had a slip joint and the J trap they sold us was threaded (how's that for impressive plumbing lingo?). So, back to the hardware store we drove. We found the slip joint J traps, but they still were not set up to join the wall drain pipe in the same way as my old drain. In the end, we decided to buy a new drain pipe from the wall with a slip joint, a J trap with a slip joint and the new drain.

My dad did most of the work in cutting down the new pipes and getting them together. We had one test run with a leak, but the second test held.

Behold my shiny new drain pipe. Eventually I'd like to clean up that odd bend in the copper water pipes, but that's another project for another day.

2 comments:

Derek said...

The copper pipes look fine to me. I wouldn't bother changing them if they aren't visible. Cool to have a chrome j trap, most people just replace them with abs or pvc.

StuccoHouse said...

Thanks, Derek. Above ground I'm all about chrome & nickle....below ground pvc & copper. My kitchen sink pipes do show...I have a vintage wall sink.

I actually suspect that the house originally had a small sink directly above those pipes and when the wall sink was put in (way back) the pipes were just stepped over to it. There are some really old signs in the basement ceiling too. It would be nice to have them straight and also have some turn off valves.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin