Friday, September 21, 2007

Copper Drip Edge

My new copper drip edge.

The guys arrived to install it early this morning. About 1 hr. into the work, they knocked on the door and showed me some rot in the trim wood. Thank heaven last week I had thought to go out and buy some pieces of 1x2 cedar and prime them. So, they replaced the rotted sections with good trim.

About 2 hrs into the install, I heard them out there quietly swearing. The arch of the overhang is nowhere near symmetrical....and the original pieces of wood were hand cut; some more rounded than others. So, they were out there trying to get the perfect arch of the fabricated copper to fit :-) In the end, they decided to go with the uniform arch, even if it meant that a small section of wood peeks out at the top of the arch. I can trim that wood when I paint, if I want to. The wood actually shows more in the photo than it does in real life - I think its because I'm shooting from below and the drip edge slightly sticks out at the bottom. The copper has a 1" rise that diverts the rain to either side when it runs down the roof - no more front door waterfall.

The roofing guys are going stop back in a day or two to put in some flashing where the right overhang meets the stucco and to polish the copper (you can see their fingerprint smudges right now). It will take a couple of months before it starts to patina a golden brown. Hopefully this weekend is dry, so I can paint the overhang.

Here's a reminder of where we started last summer...

5 comments:

Omar said...

Wow! That is sweet.. You're making me jealous of that copper. But I can imagine what it would cost to do my whole roofline with it.

Must.. get.. rid of.. aluminum!

Carol said...

Beautiful

Josh @ Bungalow '23 said...

It looks like your result was worth all the trouble you went through to get it, Stucco. Congratulations!

Our Little Bungalow said...

Sweet! Lookin' good!

StuccoHouse said...

Thanks, all. It really is an improvement over the old, clipped aluminum edge.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin