Wednesday, September 19, 2007

And It Was Called Yellow

I almost feel a little silly posting this photo. The change is so minimal.

Last weekend I finished stripping, treating, priming & painting the bargeboard on my front dormer. To me it looks totally different and represents an entire weekend of my life. To readers, it may not look so impressive.

Anyway, here it is. The painted dormer bargeboard. Try to ignore, for now, the window trim & the underside of the dormer soffits. The underside of the ends of the bargeboard are just primed and there is a 1x4 nailed on to the ends of the rafter tails. Eventually I'll pry that 1x4 unpainted board off.....and I'll also add the "rafter tails" back on to the bargeboard. They were cut off years ago when the aluminum was put up.

The copper drip edge guy has (again) promised that the fabricated drip edge for the front overhang will be installed on Friday. He has fibbed ("lied" is such a harsh word) to me 3 times before and each time I was bitterly disappointed by his no-show, so I wouldn't bet money on it. But I think he knows how frustrated I am over how long this whole thing has taken, that this time he actually might show. Yesterday he left the phone message uber early in the morning on my work line telling me they would be here on Friday...I think he was avoiding talking to me directly because he knows this install has been long overdue.

Anyway once the drip edge is installed, I'll move on to painting the already stripped & primed front brackets & overhang fascia. I'll also be able to finish stripping the fascia (showing in the above photo), that runs up the side of the overhang.

In the meantime, I bought some colorful mums for my front doorstep. My theory is they minimize the ugliness elsewhere.

9 comments:

Kathy from NJ said...

It looks great, I love the color. Just curious, do you have a room upstairs?

Ranty said...

It looks wonderful!!! Great work!

merideth said...

it looks great! actually, i thought it looked great in it's stripped and pre-painted ugliness too just because I know the kind of labor it takes to make something look like that...nice work!

Josh @ Bungalow '23 said...

Really sharp! I've got some exterior painting to do, too, but I'm stuck in paint color indecision.

Omar said...

Looks good. What is it with contractors anyway? They seem to be the flakiest people I know..

StuccoHouse said...

Kathy - From the outside, the upper level of my house is deceptive. It actually is fairly large w/ tall ceilings - about 1/3 of the total footage of my house. The dormer opens into a sunroom.

Thanks all for the nice comments. I'm sure new house people are looking at this with confusion/disgust/fear.

Omar - The copper guys are actually HERE right now! Hopefully, nice photos of the drip edge soon.

Anonymous said...

I have not visited you site since you started the front arch repair, it looks great. I also think it is great you are removing the aluminum and painting the trim. I guess the price of aluminum must have went up I only got about $50 for mine :) It took me three years to finish that project at my house. What a difference, keep up the effort it looks wonderful.

billg from AM Bungalow

StuccoHouse said...

Bill - Thanks for the kind words. It's always nice to hear from someone that actually lived through this :-)

I discovered American Bungalow the same week I put a bid in on my house. I didn't have clue what type of house I had found....just saw a photo on the cover of the magazine that looked like my house.

Between American Bungalow & the Twin cities Bungalow Club, I've found so much good info. on restoring this house. Haha....or maybe I should blame you for all of the work you have caused me to do ;-)

Kristin Richey said...

Is the title inspired by the Empire Records soundtrack?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin