Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Milwaukee Ave House Tour

Here is kind of a neat link. The folks living on Milwaulkee Ave. in Minneapolis have organized a house tour. It's taking place on Sept. 23rd (the link has the rest of the details.)

When I was looking for a house 5 yrs ago, one of my friends knowing I love old houses, drove me down there to take a look. One of the new "old" fill-in houses was for sale. While that house was not for me, the neighborhood was charming. It's a pedestrian mall - with all of the houses facing an inner sidewalk/courtyard. I didn't have a clue this street even existed. If you didn't know it was there, you would totally miss it. Many of the houses were built for mill and railroad workers back in the late 1880s....and saved from demolition in the 1970s. Those lots whose houses couldn't be saved, were filled with new houses in the original style.

Even if you can't make the tour, their website is well worth taking a peek at to check photos of the houses on the tour.....

Milwaukee Avenue Website

6 comments:

Ranty said...

Ohhhh, I love that spot! I have spent many afternoons walking off a lunch at Tracy's or Pizza Luce by strolling along that mall.

StuccoHouse said...

Lol...of course, now you have me craving a Ruby Rae pizza from Pizza Luce :-)

Kathy from NJ said...

Yesterday an article in the Star-Ledger newspaper said that pigeon poop may have contibuted to the problem with the fallen bridge. Apparently something in the poop causes steel to rust. Are your newspapers saying that too? If you want me to scan and email you the article, let me know.

RBottoni (at) optonline (dot) net

Omar said...

Wow what a wonderful neighborhood! I especially like the pedestrian mall thing..

StuccoHouse said...

Kathy - the pidgeon poop theory is being floated with a bunch of others as they start to pull the bridge parts out and take a closer look. Bizarre that bird poop could be that corrosive, huh?

Omar - the pedestrian mall is pretty cool. Its kind of funny when you walk down it...cuz you are oggling the houses....and at least one owner is sitting out on their porch watching the people looking at their houses. That must take a while to get used to.

Omar said...

Must be neat to live in a neighborhood like that.. I imagine people are more in contact with their neighbors which leads to a friendlier atmosphere.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin