Monday, August 06, 2007

By The Pound

Last Friday I asked my dad if he would help me cart the aluminum trim from my house down to the scrap metal place in his mini-van.

It probably took us 30 minutes to load all the pieces into the van. They seemed pretty light, but there were a lot of individual sheets. When we had it all loaded, we took a guess of how much it weighed. We decided in the ballpark of 40 pounds (my dad is usually really good at that stuff).

We drove down to Leder Bros. Co., the metal scrap place. The guys there were very friendly and helped us unload the stuff into a huge bin. When we were done, they called me over to show me the results on the scale. The price per pound was determined by the total number of pounds. Less than 50 pounds = $.50. 50 to 100 pounds = $.60. Over 100 pounds = $.70.

167 pounds! At $.70 a pound, that came to a cool $107. Not bad, not bad at all.

5 comments:

Chris said...

That's great! Your hard work really did pay off...literally! Congrats! What are you going to spend it on?

Tiny Oak Park Bungalow said...

Isn't it great when the house "gives back" every once in a while?

Omar said...

Sweet! This got me thinking how much money I have on my house with all the wrought iron bars that I plan on removing. Hmm..

StuccoHouse said...

Yea, it's about time this house pulled it's own weight. I've already spent this money 12 times over. We'll just say it's going towards the new copper drip edge.

I'd be interested to know what the going rate from scrap iron is. I do already have my eye on the remaining crappy alumninum storm windows on my house. I wonder how many people just toss the scrap aluminum.

jm said...

This is exactly why the scavenging business in Chicago is so strong. Yay! Recycling is $$$!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin