Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Bridge Collapse

Like every other person in the Twin Cities, I've been transfixed to the tv tonight watching the unfolding story of the collapse of the interstate I-35W bridge. I was out grilling dinner in my backyard when I started to hear the sound of sirens down by the river. When I went inside to eat, I was met with the breaking news story that the bridge had totally collapsed into the Mississippi River during rush hour.

Then the phone started ringing with people checking just to make sure I wasn't by some chance down there. This bridge is a little over 2 miles from my house, and I often ride my bike down there. The bridge was a huge, steel arch truss bridge that runs just outside of downtown Minneapolis. They estimate 50+ cars were on the bridge at the time of the collapse...many of them were dropped into the river. I can't even imagine what the actual scene looks like.

A couple of hours ago the city breathed a collective sigh of relief when we learned 60 kids safely escaped a school bus that news cameras had been showing teetering on the edge of the bridge.

They have shut down air traffic over my neighborhood, which makes the whole thing very reminiscent of 9/11. But, they are assuring us that the chance of terrorism being involved is very slim and that this is just a structural collapse.

Here's hoping that casualties will be few.....

9 comments:

Kathy from NJ said...

It was breaking news on our TV - I immediately thought of you and Bungalow 23, then went to the Houseblogs map - Ranty asked everyone from your area to check in. I just woke up to the news that fatalities were few, I'm really shocked that people could survive a 60 foot drop and then swim or walk away. I'm very happy that you are safe.

Tiny Oak Park Bungalow said...

It's just terrible.

We're thinking of the folks (and fellow housebloggers) in Minneapolis and are hoping for the best.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are OK and praying for the others.

StuccoHouse said...

Thanks for the well wishes :-) This morning they have been working to pull the cars that were totally submerged under the river. They are saying there are maybe 20-30 people that are unaccounted for and it is heartbreaking to now start hearing about the people that did not show up for work this morning and haven't been heard from.

The phots don't really give perspective of how big these bridges are. There are series of bridges spaced over the river in my part of town..this one being the largest...anyone that lives or work by the Mississppi river crosses them multiple times a day. SO, a lot of us are thinking it really could have been me.

Greg said...

It's just unbelievable. As soon as I heard about it, my first thought was, "I hope StuccoHouse wasn't on that bridge"

StuccoHouse said...

Greg - It is funny what a little cyber neighborhood we have :-) I've found ymself doing the same thing at various times.

Aaron said...

I'm glad it sounds like everyone we know through houseblogs (and our friends and family there too) are ok. Great to know, but still so tragic for those who weren't so fortunate.

I'm amazed that someone used the houseblogs map to check on people after hearing the news. Wow. I certainly never had anything that meaningful in mind when we first put it together--I'm glad it could be a small help...

StuccoHouse said...

Aaron - Yea, I thought she was pretty clever thinking of that too. Although, my coordinates on the HouseBlogs map are a bit fudged :-) I did start watching the blogroll for the HB folks I new live around here to post...and waited for a few regular Mpls. readers to comment.

Omar said...

Thought I'd chime in my best wishes (a little late) about this trajedy.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin