Tuesday, July 17, 2007

My Copper Drip Edge

You came to this post expecting to see a photo of my new copper drip edge.

Yea, that would have been nice.

Wish I had a new copper drip edge to show you. It's not for lack of trying. I assure you.

I've now started to take the "He's Just Not That Into You" approach to home contractors. It spares me the pain of sitting by the phone waiting for their call. Maybe I should write a book. Hmmm.

I thought I had a metal guy all lined up. Steve from Company #1 came out and told me he could do it. He called with an estimate, and I told him immediately to go ahead. Then things got sketchy. He didn't call when he said he would. I asked him if you could do a quick drawing of how the drip edge would look and he balked. Then he just drifted away. Presumably to customers that wanted their whole roof done in shiny copper.

So, Tom from Company #2 came out. I carefully explained to the company before they sent someone out what I was looking for....that this was a small job (under $1k). They assured me it was right up their alley. Tom took a look at my roof and told me this was something he certainly could do. He just needed to send out the roofer to take a look at it and would then send me an estimate. I should have been a bit suspicious when he tried to suggest I needed a whole new section of roof - every other company has told me they can cut this in. I waited 2 weeks. Then, thinking there may have been a mix-up called and left a message. No one even returned my call. I guess they don't want the job, huh?

Last week I finally had Dick from Company #3 come out. I once again explained that this was a small project...I needed a 10' arched, copper drip edge. I have high hopes for this guy. We chatted for a while about restoring old houses, etc. He thought he could have an estimate to me by Wed. of this week. I remain cautiously optimistic.

This has been going on since May and I'm running out of metal fabricators in the city to call....

1 comment:

Josh @ Bungalow '23 said...

Maybe a student studying metals at one of the local technical colleges could fabricate a drip edge for you if the roofers continue to disappoint.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin