Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Shocking

Yesterday I phoned the electric company to schedule a truck to come out to disconnect my electrical for a few hours, so I can remove the remaining aluminum trim on my house.

My electrical wires run very low near my gutter. I decided I'd really rather not electrocute myself while removing the metal trim.

They have me on the calendar for next Monday. This is good because it gives me a deadline and forces me to get this done. From the instructions they gave me, the electric company guys will disconnect the wires...and then I need to call them when I am done and they will reconnect the wires. I figure it will take me 2-3 hours to pull the aluminum down.

An interesting side fact. I asked about having my wires moved onto a "wand" that would raise them higher onto my roof. This would let me actually clean my gutters. The electrical co. rep. said that the point where the electrical attaches to the house is the homeowner's property. So, I need to call an electrician to have this done. I might add this to the list of things I want done....it sure would make life a lot easier.

It will be nice to finally have that aluminum gone.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I wrote about 6 months back that you and I must live somewhat close. It's great to read your blog as I feel like I'm looking in the mirror when I read about your steps, your gas meter (I have someone coming over tomorrow), my lawn, trim work...the list goes on! I got the name of the contractor you used for your cement work and will be calling them for an estimate. The lowest of the first 3 was $2900, just for steps!
I do have a question for you. Have you ever done, or needed, any stucco repair? Along with the front steps, I will have some minor patching and repair work to do in the front and back of the house. Most contractors don't want to bother with small work, or charge you for a big job regardless of the effort, so if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear from you.

Interesting side note, I discovered that the house I'm in, while originally stucco from 1922, was re-stuccoed in 1961 OVER THE TOP of the old! You can guess how fun the iron rails will be with the steps!

StuccoHouse said...

Jeff - Our houses must be about the same age....and having the same growing old problems :-) I really liked the co I used for the concrete. He actually was the cheapest of the three bids I got - there was a pretty big range between highest & lowest. It was in the ballpark of $2k for the step & sidewalk.

Is Minnegasco checking your meters too? They were out a few weeks ago to "test" mine....my neighbors reported the same. I tried to talk the guy into moving it outside - I'm tired of small leaks. He said the gas co. wouldn't be doing that anytime soon, but you can have someone privately do it.

I haven't written too much about my stucco. I have an odd situation were someone put on a thick coating of what I think was paint & portland cement (they also covered the exterior wood trim). Too thin for a proper top coat/too thick for a paint. And that lovely coating is now peeling off in layers. One of these days I'll get someone out to tell me what my options are. I've heard good things about Donnely Bros (over in Seward) & Foley - but they may be the big job only companies. I actually took a stucco repair class through Mpls Continuing Ed that was pretty good. It's not a terribly hard process - I'd be tempted to do a small repair myself. The instructor was a old time stucco guy - who I think did small repair jobs. For the life of me I can't find the handouts from the class though. They also gave out the name of a stucco supply place (that may be a good place for a lead on small job contractors). I'll post, if I can locate them. I know I saved them.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin