Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Not Quite Ready For That Union Card

It's up. The missing board on my front door overhang is in place. Finally.

I'm sure a carpenter or anyone with some carpentry experience will get a good chuckle, but this took me a long time to do. In my defense, there was a lot going on up there.

In short, here were the complications: The arch of the overhang is not anywhere near uniform. The arch itself had sunk about an inch on the right side - and there was no moving that arch anywhere at this point.

Finally, no matter how hard I willed it to be, a board could not rest on the top of the bracket....run horizontal.....and meet the bottom edge of the far most board coming out of the stucco. For the life of me, I still can't figure out what went on there.

Still, I got the board cut, I used my dad's tip about using a pencil compass to scribe out the sinking section, and I got it up there and attached. I had to epoxy the corner where the new board met the old, drooping, formerly rotted, somewhat curved board.

I'm still not fully clear what is supporting that overhang (it's not the brackets), but I try not to dwell on it.

Next, I have to sand the edges, trim about a quater of an inch off the bottom of the board coming from the stucco on the far right, reprime, add the 1x2 trim and paint. Then I'll be ready for the new drip edge.

3 comments:

Cranky Grandma said...

Wow! I'm totally impressed!

John said...

Regarding the overhang, if it makes you feel any better, one a lot of older homes exterior features are framed into the house. I mean that literally.

The bay window on the Devil Queen isn't attached to the house's framing, it's an extension of it. We're are not sure where all the wood goes, but all extends back into the walls, the ceiling of the parlor and up into the attic somewhere.

We discovered this while trying to run the electric to the parlor; We kept running into weird obstructions in the walls, the bay window's framing.

StuccoHouse said...

Cranky - Lol...thanks! I'm sure a carpenter could have had it up there is 5 minutes, but I was determined.

John - I'm sure you are right. I was surprised in working on the overhang.....that it goes directly into my attic. I had expected that the overhang was a little section unto itself. I do tread lightly whenever I step up there though....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin