Sunday, June 17, 2007

Busy Body

Yesterday evening I noticed the motion detector light on my garage had turned on. It's not totally unusual for it to go off, but when it does I usually take a look outside to see what might have set it off. I took a peek out my back window and then remembered that I was going to water my roses before it got too dark. So, I went out in the back yard.

While I watered the roses, I noticed my neighbor's garage open. Long story short - I was 97% sure that they were not home this past weekend. It would also be very unusual for someone on my block to leave their unattanded garage open. No truck & no lights on in the house. Something was off.

I went inside my house and opened the shade in my back window. Nothing changed. No people. Garage door open. Keep in mind that something similar happened to me a couple of years ago.

What to do. What to do.

I have chatted with these folks over the years, but had no idea what their name was. I debated what to do. 1) mind my own business and do nothing. 2) go over there and try to figure out how to shut the door myself - assuming there was no gun wielding drug addict lurking in the shadows (okay, I'm being overly dramatic). 3) call the cops and explain the situation and ask them to drive by. I opted for #3.

The cops came and took a look-see & shut the door. Once again, all is well in Stuccoville.

So, does this now qualify me as the neighborhood busy body?

6 comments:

Ranty said...

Not in my book - I think you did the best thing, and if I were that neighbor I'd be thanking you.

The Litter Box House said...

I'm glad you called 911. It's important for neighbors to stick up for each other. We've had a rash of problems on my tiny block this summer - a car broken into, a house break-in foiled, a drug deal in the middle of the street - and are all being busy bodies. But if we don't watch out for each other, who would? Good job girl!

StuccoHouse said...

Remember the days when if someone left their car lights on you would just open their car door, reach in and turn them off for them? Complete strangers. Today you don't dare even touch their car.

I felt silly calling the police instead of just going over there and shutting the door. But knowing my luck the minute I was in the garage pushing the button, I'd be captured on some surveilance camera...or there would be a dead body ;-) Lol...I couldn't even dial 911, so I called the main desk. But, I guess I'm glad I did.

Dulcie said...

If that was my garage I'd be so grateful! In these old bungalow neighborhoods, I'm so happy to have neighbors close by to keep an eye out for unusual happenings.

Now when we first moved to the neighborhood, my husband met this elderly woman who lives a couple doors down. She is one of these stereotypical "Back in the good old days it was great, now everything has gone to pot..." Anyway, not moments after they met, this woman was telling him about our neighbor (who we had not yet met) and the sordid details of his separation and divorce!
That... is a busybody.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

You're the neighbor I want to have. Any chance you can move to Marrakech?:-)

StuccoHouse said...

Maryam - This afternoon I have been stripping paint off of my front window trim and have discovered rot......I've also been missing Spain lately (hop skip & jump away from Marrakech). I could so easily be talked into moving right now ;-) I could work as a housekeeper in your new B&B! What a wonderful escape.....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin