Friday, May 18, 2007

Wood Storm Windows Arrive

This past Wednesday I picked up the two storms I had made to replace the most hated aluminum triple track storms. They looked good and I loaded them into my car and drove home.

Once home, I decided to prime them immediately. The oil based primer went on so easily and I was thinking happy thoughts when all of a sudden I noticed a section of the board move. My heart sunk. Upon closer inspection I found that there was a section of wood that had a fault underneath it that caused a splinter of wood, maybe .5" x 3", to come loose. I finished priming the second window and then gave the hardware store a call.

I tried to explain to them what I had discovered and they asked me if maybe I had bumped it. I told them that I would bring it back in for them to take a look at. On my way back to the store, I was rehearsing for the worst.....they blaming me for wrecking the storms after I left the store....and me proclaiming my innocence.

Well, my dread was short lived. I showed them the problem and they agreed that something was wrong with the wood. They offered me $30 off and told me they would repair it with Bondo or I could fix it myself. I agreed that that was fair (I guess) and told them I'd fix it myself (I'll use the WoodEpox I have in my basement). So, I have new storms that have already been repaired. I have mixed feelings about this.

Today I am painting them (two coats on one side and one on the other - a second will be added after I put the glass & putty in). They are outside drying as I type (Note the green grass down by the road - this was my seeded from scratch area. Feel free to admire).

I still need to add the glass and then the hanging hardware. The glass could take some time because I need to pull it out of the old, salvaged sash first.

I'm anxious to get them in the windows.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Stucco,

You want to get the kind of folding sawhorses that have a shelf at the bottom, then you could set the bucket of paint right there and reach right through the storm frame to get it!

aaron said...

I agree, I picked up a pair of sawhorses w/shelfs for 25 bucks at menards (my home away from home)
(also my bank, I seem to cash and spend all my checks there)

Anyway, on another note, you have to check out Greg's latest post, Stucco - very special. :)
http://hillsdalehouse.blogspot.com/

StuccoHouse said...

I didn't even know those existed. I'll have to keep an eye of for them on sale. I've done so many sashes by now I have the "hold small paint jar in one hand & paint with the other" system down to a science. Although there have been a few near misses.

Mike said...

Stucco-

Here is an example:

http://www.woodezine.com/02_2005/0205_images/Stanley_sawhorse.jpg

StuccoHouse said...

Mike - Very cool. Even more than the paint shelf.....I'm liking those adjustable legs. How handy would that be!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin