Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Ugly Duckling

I have this uncontrollable urge to put a sign up in my front yard saying something like "I know it is ugly now. It will get better. I have big plans. Honest."

Today the aluminum trim came down from the front of my house & the dormer.

I know it may not look like it to some, but I lucked out. Both the fascia & the beadboard eaves are in good condition. The wood is solid. The paint is bad - ok, really bad....which in an odd way is also lucky because it it much easier to remove.

I think the first thing I need to do is get up there and caulk the gaps. It's strange but with every piece of crappy aluminum trim I pull down it seems like my house can breath a little easier.

So, here is what it looked like before with the aluminum trim. And after without the trim. Not that I'm paranoid, but without a doubt my house is now the ugliest on the block.



9 comments:

Ranty said...

I understand completely!

My yard is half-dug-up, and I have no front door. Talk about ugly...

But soon, soon! :-)

aaron said...

Alright, slow down, already! You're working too fast and making some of us look like slackers.
I can see the potential. I bet your house can't wait to put on some new paint.

..Hopefully not purple and gold. :)

But, then again, that color scheme would match the tulips ...

Tiny Oak Park Bungalow said...

You have to stop doing things like that! It makes me want to start ripping aluminum off the front of my house and if I begin unraveling one more thread on our house, I think my wife will kill me.

BTW, I love the Viking paint scheme idea!

StuccoHouse said...

Lol....I am going to go down the street and take a photo of a bungalow that actually is painted purple & gold and has a Vikings football flag hanging out front :-)

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about the house being able to breathe easier...I felt the same about mine as I was pulling up pink sculptured nylon carpet from my oak floors and scraping layers pf Pepto Bismal hued paint off of the baseboards, window and door casing, and picture molding.

I actually think your house looks better without the aluminum, even with the wood as is. To me, wood in need of paint looks better any day than aluminum or vinyl.

The Litter Box House said...

Now you make me want to pull off our crappy, pee colored asbestos shingles. You awful woman! :)

Mike said...

Aaron really has a point there about making others look bad. I got in big trouble with my brother after we had drywallers install our upstairs in 2 days, He was angry because he had convinced his wife that drywalling required a 3 year timeline...

Feel lucky that it's relatively easy to get a good purple and gold color scheme. Do you know hard it is to find truly black flowers to be Hawkeye colors (black and gold) especially when you're next door to the football stadium!

Anonymous said...

I actually started stripping soffit and facia on the eaves of my dormer on my '27 craftsman home. Beside being afraid of being that high up on the roof the aluminum fascia was stuck under the spanish tile requiring removing it, so I ended up giving up temporarily. My eaves look just like yours under the metal crap. Beadboard inset into the fascia ehich adds depth unlike the metal that gives the house a boxy look. Your making me want to try again.

Jenni said...

I want to put up a sign too!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin