Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Tiny Rant

I was going to write about the new wood storms that I picked up yesterday, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. This afternoon I stopped by the ReUse Center. This is a bit of a rant, I will warn you.

Anyone that reads my blog regularily knows that I stop by there frequently. Over the years I have also bought a lot of stuff there (bathroom wall sink, storm door, lights, doorbell button, etc.). The stuff is dirty, often in bad shape and more often than not overpriced. But, they are one of the only games in town, so I've learned to shop only during sales and just deal with it....and admitedly I have found some good stuff.

Here is the thing that is so frustrating. You will walk in the door to a group of workers standing by the front register. Lots of times they are chatting; sometimes they are moving stuff. Every now and again, someone asks you as you walk in if you need help. I've learned just to say "no" and go on my way, because in the instances I have asked.....they don't know what I'm talking about....or the just tell me they don't have it when I know they do....or they point me back to the area where I already know the stuff is stored.

Today, I wanted to look for a wood storm door for my back door & some window sashes & storms. So, I walked to the back of the warehouse where they are stored. They have the windows & the doors lined up like dominos. Every so often there is a support bar on the wall or shelf holding them upright. But they are in there so tight, there is no way to move them. I've seen big, burly men back there swearing as they try to look at the doors.....I don't stand a chance.

That's what happened to me today. Usually I would just leave, but today I was motivated. So, I walked all the way back up to the front of the warehouse. I interrupted the conversation and directed a less-than-thrilled guy back with me to the windows. I told him what I was looking for and he just kind of looked at me. So, I asked him if he could pull out a specific window. He did and stood there. I finally told him I'd continue to look on my own.

Just at this moment, a woman that works in the offices was telling one of the workers that standing in front chatting instead of helping people was poor customer service. No lie, I thought silently to myself. He actually kind of sassed her back and laughed.

Miracle of all miracles, I actually was able to find two storms that I wanted. I was finally able to get them down from the shelves by climbing up a ladder and taking down the windows near it one by one and propping them up on the floor below. It probably took me 30 minutes to pull out those two storms.

Because no workers were anywhere to be found, I dragged both of those dirty storms through the warehouse and up to the cash register where 3 people stood chatting. One guy even made the comment "oh, good you found something" - which I found amusing & irritating all at the same time. I paid for my purchase and was not the least bit surprised when they were too involved in their chat to offer to help me carry the storms to the door (or even hold the door open). I was able to get another customer to hold the door for me.

Here's the ultimate irony. What were they chatting lively about? The outrageously poor customer service they received in ordering passports. I laughed out loud as I dragged my storms out of the store. What can you do.

5 comments:

Greg said...

Why does this not surprise me.

Jocelyn said...

Now that is funny.

jm said...

Where do they find people like that? Yikes!

Mike said...

The older I get the less I can stand bad service. That is something that we have really tried to focus on at our Salvage Barn. We have been working hard to measure and label items. This is harder than it sounds, we're only open on Saturdays and since we're at the landfill we never know when someone will pull up with stuff! Whenever I am volunteering I always make a point to say hello to everyone when they come in and ask if they are looking for anything in particular. If so I'll steer them that way. If not I'll point out our price guidelines and tell them to find one of us if they have questions. I know most people want to look on their own and give them space.

Granted I'm only working retail 4 hours every other Saturday, but damn, is it that hard?

StuccoHouse said...

Who knows what is going on there. This wasn't the first time I've come home frustrated, or I wouldn't have posted :-) I worked in retail for years for probably a lot less than they get, and I wouldn't have dreamed of doing what they do. It would seem to me that part of the fun in working in a place like that would be to help people find the perfect stuff for their house. It would also seem to me they would be interested in selling some stuff. But that's just me, I guess.

Mike - Oh, I wish your salvage store was closer to me. It sounds great.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin