Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Linens

I learned how to crochet when I was a little girl. Both of my grandmothers were prolific crocheters, tatters, and embroiderers. My mom smocked. So I guess it's in my dna.

When I was a student in Spain, my friends and I picked up crocheting again as a way to pass time while traveling by train (this was before ipods & cell phones). The little, old, Spanish ladies sitting around us took us under wing. They showed us new designs, fed us and introduced us to their grandsons. It was a nice little scam we had going.

After college, I would drive down to my Grandma's house and we would spend the afternoon crocheting. She would teach me new designs & give me tips (the rose & shamrock designs are hers). We'd always joke bout the poor folk that had to sleep on plain sheets.

Over the years, I've kept up with crocheting lace. I usually put the lace on bed linens. Whenever I see a nice, sturdy piece in an antique store at a good price ($5/pair for pillowcases), I snatch it up. As a result, I have a pretty good selection of high quality bed linens.

4 comments:

Greg said...

Nice. So whihc of those did you do and which are vintage?

StuccoHouse said...

The white roses they still need to be blocked) and the shamrocks on the pillowcase are mine. I have a complete set of pillowcases & sheets of each. My Grandma made the shamrocks on the strip. The colored pillowcases are vintage.

Mike said...

Very nice!

Lisa also has an eye for vintage linens, they are a great touch, but making your own is even better.

Bess and Helen were prolific handiworkers, at the estate sale was a matched pair of crocheted single bed covers, they were incredible. Those sold, but lots of little pieces didn't. We bought all them and have them all around.

StuccoHouse said...

For whatever reason old linens don't sell well. They usually sit in a pile in a bin in antique stores. That makes them quite a deal, if you look. Most of them are on that old, tight cotton that holds up very well. I buy the hand embroidered or crocheted pieces for a few bucks. Of course, now I am a snob and poo-poo any machine made items.

The work that went into those old bed covers & table clothes boggles my mind.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin