Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Unveiling

This is the final installment in my "whatever made those dark stains on your hardwood floors?" trilogy.

All's well that ends well.

After pulling out and replacing each and every pee stained board, I called the floor guy in to sand the floors & then refinish them.

I had him use an oil based poly finish. Two layers of gloss for the durability and a top layer of semi gloss for the nice sheen. Oil is more of a pain in the neck to apply and takes a lot longer to cure, but it also develops a nice golden glow as it ages.

Some people love to poo-poo polyurathane as if poly was one product. This makes me crazy because what they fail to understand is that an oil based poly *is* a varnish - it just has a man made resin in it instead of natural resin with similar properties. It's the kissing cousin to the traditional varnish that has been put on wood floors for 100 or so years. Okay, sorry I got a bit off tangent there. It's a pet peeve.

Anyway, the floor turned out well. It's been three years since the work was completed and as the top finish goldens, the replaced boards become harder & harder to pick out. If you didn't know the story, you would never notice the work done. The whole thing is just kind of a vague homeowner memory form me now. But as you can imagine, I now have a rather frosty relationship with cats in general.

Without further ado.

The before:













And the After:

4 comments:

Patricia W. said...

It turned out beautifully. I'm a polyurethane gal myself and it's durability is incredible, a must when you have pets. When I have my floors done they will get several coats of poly. In fact, when the woodwork downstairs is replaced and shellacked it will get a protective coat of poly as well.

Greg said...

That is an amazing transformation. I never would have guessed there were stains there before.

kendra said...

Wow, it looks gorgeous! I'm so glad the story had a happy ending. I still can't imagine ever not being upset over our pee-scented problem-room, but your posts give me hope. :)

StuccoHouse said...

Thanks, you really can't tell the boards have been replaced at this point. Everything has kind of blended together.

Kendra - I actually have forgotten this was ever a problem. All clues of it are gone and there are no remaining smells....nothing. I'm almost liking cats again :-) It can be done!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin