Monday, January 01, 2007

The Most Hated Light

This is another project I completed B.B. (before blog).

When I first saw my house, there was a hanging light in the dining room.

My realtor swooned every time she saw The Light. My friends and family commented on The Light. "Charming," they thought. When the neighbor lady came over to welcome me to the neighborhood, she peeked over my shoulder into the house and inhaled quickly, saying in a hushed tone "Oooooh, she let you keep The Light!" Evidently it was the pride & joy of the previous owner.

I hated The Light. It was a silk cone with a tassle on the end. Fake exotic. Pottery Barn....$69.....I wanted to shout at everyone.

Maybe what I hated more than The Light was the possibility that the original, bungalow light had been taken down and replaced with this light.

I shopped for a new dining room light for months. I shopped salvage. I shopped reproduction. I wanted a light that would fit into a 1920's bungalow, but not arts & crafts. I had a picture in my mind of what I wanted. I finally found it.

My new Scheffield light arrived. Oil rubbed bronze finish. It was unloaded from the box to a place of honor on a chair cushion on the dining room floor.

As happens with most old house projects, there it sat for a while. Turns out I have some odd, old wiring (greenfield & black pipe) in my house that confused everyone that attempted to help me install the new light. And admittedly, I wanted this done just so. The (old) Light was quietly donated to charity and I lived with the exposed wires for a few months.

After a few months, I finally made arrangments for my electrician to stop by and pull new wires for the dining room ceiling and install The New Light.

(Please join my in ignoring the glaring white popcorn ceiling. It's days are numbered.)


8 comments:

Patricia W. said...

The Light looks so dark. How did any light ever get through it?

Your new light is so pretty!!!!!

Jocelyn said...

ah now that is so much better!!!

a good feeling to have that in place I'm sure.

Readerman said...

That looks great! So much better than the other one. We're restoring an old house and are currently looking for vintage light fixtures to replace all the...gag....ceiling fans that are in every room now.

zia said...

I've been lurking here for a while now, and thoroughly enjoying your posts ... and I LOVE your new light. And I particularly love the fact that you're not doing that boxy arts and crafts lighting that seems to be all the rage these days.

kris said...

Very nice. The Light kinda made me laugh, especially others' comments about it :-)

pedalpower said...

It's beautiful (the new one of course!). Very graceful and looks like it fits right in with your home.

Tiny Oak Park Bungalow said...

I love that everyone seemed to know about the old light. Hopefully they will all be talking about the new one as well. The new one looks great. Very unique yet appropriate.

StuccoHouse said...

Thanks for the compliments :-) It's not that I dislike the mission style lighting, its just that there is a lot of heavy, dark oak in my house and I thought something non-Arts & Crafts might balance it nicely.

It was odd how much everyone (except me) liked The (old) Light

Blog Widget by LinkWithin