Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Vintage Postcards

In my last post I mentioned that I had purchased a couple of vintage postcards at the antique store, Pines-n-tiques.

I've collected postcards for 15 yrs or so. I choose a couple well known tourist attractions near my house and focus on finding postcards with images of those places. I have maybe 10 postcard with the image of a lake that was close to my old house. So far I've collected 5 or 6 postcards with the image of a waterfall that is in the general area of my current house.

I'm pretty picky. The postcard has to be in excellent shape, have writing on the back, have a date stamp, and be under $3.00. Having "rules" makes collecting a bit more of a challenge.

Every few months, I have another postcard framed.
Eventually, the entire collection will be hung on my stairway wall.



5 comments:

The Litter Box House said...

What a great idea! Jason would love to do something like that, but probably with postcards of old buildings in our neighborhood. I'll have to mention the idea to him -- unless you object of course.

And rules are important. Otherwise collection sizes get out of hand!

Andrea

merideth said...

very nice! as a graphic designer i'm such a fan of using commercial art to decorate.

Carol said...

Excellent idea! I like art that has some connection to the owner.

Tiny Oak Park Bungalow said...

I love this post. I have been collecting postcards, by a specific architect, for about 5 years now - much to my wife's dismay. I have a couple of them framed but not as nice as you ahve done yours. I am inspired. Thanks.

Chris
tinybungalow.blogspot.com

StuccoHouse said...

Andrea - No problem - tell him if you think he'd enjoy. Plenty of postcards to go around.

Chris - Very cool idea to collect one architect. I toyed with the idea of collecting the MN state Capital. From what I understand, train stations (the small, old ones) are the holy grail of postcard collecting. And, oh yea....framing is the most expensive part.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin