Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Rot Be Gone

I've developed this bad habit of finishing a project and then not wanting to talk or think about it again. Not good for a blogger.

So in order to just get these photos online as proof that I actually did finish something this Summer/Fall, I'm posting a series of photos of the repair of my front door overhang brackets. They, obviously (I hope) run from bad to good.

A quick recap: Aluminum down, gasp - rot!; yuck! ants; rot be gone; LiquidWood wood consolidator; BoraCare borate treatment; WoodEpox epoxy; sanded epoxy; primed overhang bracket. I still need to replace the front fascia board and paint, but that will have to wait until next Spring.

2 comments:

johnleeke said...

How did you figure out how to do this?

StuccoHouse said...

Well, I was familiar with most of the products and had used them on other projects (restoring windows, etc.) So, from there it was a matter of figuring out what in what order to apply them (I called Abatron and asked them about when they would suggest applying the borate preservative w/ their products). I spent a lot of time just staring up at the overhang. The trickiest part for me was extending the board over the bracket that had rotted away maybe 6". I cut a new piece of cedar and used a combo of dowels & epoxy to make a seemless extension. I was worried about replacing some of the rotted beadboard, but that turned out to be pretty easy. I also read a lot of blogs written by people that are doing similar things :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin