Sunday, October 15, 2006

Lesson Learned

We have rain and snow scheduled for the next week. After that, just general cold. So, this weekend the entire neighborhood was out en masse to finish up whatever they could before the snow falls. Everyone on my block was out raking up leaves, except me. I am (still) working on my front door trim surround and front door overhang. I got the door surround primed and the overhang painted. But there was one section of trim on the overhang that still had some stubborn layers of old paint.

So, I pulled out the nasty, liquid (yet, very effective) paint stripper. I was up on my ladder and working overhead. I was too lazy (and, yes I will admit, vain) to wear safety glasses. I was slathering the goo on the trim when it happened. A big blob of stripper dropped right into my eye.

I dropped everything and ran into the house and to the bathroom. All the way I was thinking "Oh, this is just great. Now I'm gonna have to come up with the money for a new sewer and an eye operation." I rinsed my eye out for about 5 minutes with water. Then took out my contact (which probably saved me). The area around my eye is a bit tender, but everything seems to be working fine. We (meaning me) learned a little lesson today.

Safety goggles. A good thing.

3 comments:

Greg said...

Boy, that could've been much worse. My glasses have saved my eyes a few times from flying and falling debris.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried a heat gun for removing paint?

StuccoHouse said...

I primarily use a heat gun and then stripper to clean up the residue. But, in some spots there is a weird paint/cement combo on my house that doesn't come off with a heat gun, and on those I need to use stripper (its lead based, I think, so I don't want to sand it off). This was one of those spots...tried the heat gun....resorted to stripper. Luckily, this is one of the last spots that has a big section of that gunk.

I have been punished for my non-goggle sins. I didn't want to reuse the "stripped" contact lens, so I have been forced to wear my glasses that up to this point have never seen the light of day. Ugh. Then because my conact prescription had expired I need to go in and have a new exam...then order my contacts. Ugh.

But I know, I was really, really lucky.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin