Thursday, October 26, 2006

Cobblestones

Back in the late 1800 and early 1900's the streets of Minneapolis were paved with granite cobblestones. Occasionally, you can still find patches of the old street. Sadly, whenever the city undergoes a big construction or road repair project, these old stones get dug up and hauled away.

I've always been curious about this, and I know I'm not the only one that was watching the East Lake Street construction to see what was underneath the blacktop.

So, I was intrigued when I discovered that the City actually sells the salvaged gray and pink granite cobblestones. You fill out one of these order forms, send it in to the City and they contact you with a time to come and pick up your loot.

I have been toying with the idea of a historic cobblestone alley driveway.

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

that would be very cool. We have some leftover cobblestone streets in my neighborhood that many people want to save. BUT the city doesn't allocate budget for that.

Maryam in Marrakech said...

That is an absolutely fantastic idea. I love cobblestone. So beautiful. How much do you think it would run to do something like that?

StuccoHouse said...

I'm not sure. My "driveway" is really only a very short run into my garage. It just barely is big enough for my mini-suv. So at $2 a block, I'd guess about $400.....and then hours of backbreaking work layig it all :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin