Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Grounds for Gardens

I'm writing this post because I have a caffine buzz going and Starbucks gave me a coupon for a free cup of my choice of drink for answering a survey.

I have a latte addiction. Large iced latte - light ice. I usually make them at home, but occasionally I drop by one of the local places to get my fix. This time of year, Starbucks is one of my regular stops.

This is not because they make an exceptional latte - the barista is usually chatting up their friends and more often than not screws up my order. But, they have a program called Grounds for Gardens. You can go into any Starbucks and ask one of the employees for a nice big tidy bag of used coffee grounds - the store near me puts them in a basket off to the side. For free.

I put these coffee ground at the base of my basil & tomato plants to keep off the slugs. I've learned that slugs do not like the roughness of coffee grounds on their slimy little bellies. They also count for "green" in a compost bin. Not a bad deal.

2 comments:

SmilingJudy said...

My company meets at a little coffee shop for working sessions once a week. I keep meaning to ask the barista to give me some grounds, but always forget. Must add it to a list somewhere. My favorite harvest (leaves!) is coming up soon and I'll need all the grounds I can get!

merideth said...

oh yes! we stop by our starbucks and get big bags of grounds for our garden. They are always nicely packaged and stacked by the door for all the gardeners in the area.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin