Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Picture This

A few months ago I got copies of old photos of my house from a couple that lives across the street from me. Those photos dated back to the 1930's.

Well, last week I got to chatting with my next door neighbor and he was describing to me what the now-torn-down front "porch" looked like. It was added sometime in (perhaps) the 1950's-1960's and enclosed the top stoop and main door. When I tore up the wood front step, we could see shadows of what had been there. There are a few people in the neighborhood that remember it and described it as a "funky little add-on entryway." No one seemed particularly impressed by it, and by all accounts it was in bad condition when a P.O. finally tore it down.

At any rate, my neighbor offhandedly mentioned that he may have a photo of it from the 1990's. I told him that if he was able to find one, I would love to get a copy of it. Later that afternoon, he dropped off a photo that shows the little porch that was. It's not overly clear, but it gives me a pretty good idea of what was there. I have no intention of recreating this work of art; it's just fun to see it.

I was also pretty surprised to see that the cedar tree that is on the side of my sidewalk up to the house and now reaches the height of my roof is less than 15 yrs old.....and here I thought it was an original.

3 comments:

Josh said...

Very cool photo. It's a good reminder that even relatively recent pictures can document lost bits of house history. Thanks!

Greg said...

It’s frustrating to me that you get these photos.

StuccoHouse said...

Greg - Your frustration is matched by the dispair I feel when Petch House posts all of those photos of custom, handmade kitchen cabinets/islands ;-)

I really have lucked out on the photos.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin