Sunday, July 23, 2006

A Matched Pair

Yesterday I started to remove the layers of old paint surrounding my front door and in doing so, made a little discovery. Today I scraped the paint off the other side of the door. Much to my relief I found a matched pair of little recessed panels.

I'm not quite sure what to make of these little insets. They are set back the same distance as the windows above them (without the gray storms). I can't figure out if they would have been covered by a glass storm window like the spaces above it. They seem kind of low to have glass in them and the only thing you would see through the glass is the wood inset. But, they are recessed too far to just let uncovered, I think. Maybe they were covered with a solid wood storm panel with matching wood trim. I spent some time browsing through my copy of Jane Powell and Linda Svendsen's book Bunglaow Details: Exterior looking for something similar with no luck. Tomorrow I think I'll go for a walk around the 'hood to see if I can find a house with a similar set-up.

I do know this little discovery will make my quest to add a mail slot a whole lot easier. I think they also add some interest to the front door....even if they are in desperate need of paint. This was a nice, unexpected surprise.

The plan is to finish scraping off the old paint surrounding the door and the overhang and prime the whole scene. The funny thing is that I had picked out a gallon of pale yellow paint to use on the trim of the house in addition to the current off-white (the storm & screens are gray). The pale yellow is just a shade lighter than the original color.

Of course, now the cheap metal front screen door just looks out of place........

1 comment:

Gary said...

I suspect that the storm windows are not an original feature to your entry way. The build out was done to accomodate them. If you remove the storm windows the doorway will probably look right and you will have to go out and spend $100s on a new screen door!
If the storms are for insulation purposes only, you can remove them and cut a piece of plexiglass the size of the underlying opening. If you put a thin bead of clear caulk around the edge before you press into place, it will seal the gap. You can then cut some trim molding to cover the edge of the plexiglass. This will give you a form of double pane insulation while leaving the original look.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin