Thursday, May 25, 2006

Wall Sink - The Sequel

Well, I think we all knew how this was going to turn out. I went back to the ReUse Center and bought the second sink. I now have two wall sinks sitting in my hallway.

The second sink (on the right) is older than the first. It is an American sink and has a date stamp of Dec. 1929. It's in pretty spectacular condition for being that old. Not a chip on it and the finish is in excellent condition.

The Chicago faucet looks to be original. the sink has that cool gray-white color that only the older pieces have - it matches my tub. You can tell that whoever donated it actually cared - the sink was very clean. I nuked the thing with bleach, gave it a scrubbing and everything shines. You should see some of the stuff that sits in that salvage place - eew.

Of course, now we have a tiny dilemma. If you read my blog regularily you have discovered I can be a be a bit of a purist when it comes to old house topics. "If it's not broke, then leave it alone" is my mantra. It may cause me some stress to remove that old faucet. At this point I'm thinking that if I have a plumber out to move the pipes and install this sink....I should just have him add a new combined water faucet. Then I won't have to see him again for a while. I'm assuming this can be done as there are three holes in the piece. But still, that old faucet is so cute. What to do, what to do.

I should mention that the folks over at HelloHouse got me started on this new wall sink venture. And then FoxCroft followed this up with a nice photo op. of their open bathroom wall awaiting the plumber to install sink piping complete with all the details. Ah, there is nothing like learning from those who have already figured it all out :-)

6 comments:

Gary said...

If you have learned so well from the experience of others, then you already know that those sinks will sit on your floor for the next three months before you move them to the bathroom floor where they will sit for a few more months!

Greg said...

I wasn’t going to say it after the first sink post, but I like the one with the backsplash better. I think it looks nicer, despite not have the cool soap thing, but also the backsplash is a great feature for a bathroom sink.

Now, as for the faucets, I have separate hot & cold faucets in my bathroom and it doesn’t bother me in the least. But then, I’m insane. I gotten so accustomed to mixing in my hands when I want to wash my face or something that is just seems natural now. You can also get a rubber stopper to fill up the sink with the proper temperature water.

If you do keep them, I would have the plumber replace the washers and packing in the faucets while he’s there. There is nothing more annoying than a leaking faucet.

StuccoHouse said...

Gary - 3 months would be a new speed record for me! I'm already getting pretty good at stepping over them to get to the basement. This morning I was able get over them in heels with a load of laundry in my arms w/o breaking stride. I see no need to move them now :-) If you listen carefully, you can hear my family & friends groaning right now.

Greg - Yea, in my heart I knew the blacksplash one should be used. You should have said something! I had an old apartment that had separate faucets, so I think I'd be ok with it. I'm one of those people that just adapt. Thanks for the advice! I'll think on this one for a while.....

Andrew said...

I hope Im not to late but I would definately go with the 1929 Standard sink. A year ago I bought a 1926 Standard peg leg sink that had a crappy new faucet and it removed easily. I installed an original 1920s American Standard mixer faucet complete with porcelain handles, excutheons and the procelain stopper knob on the spout. Its going to go in my 1927 bathroom that has hexagonal and subway tiles.Those faucets you have should remove easily for a widespread faucet. Please use the 1929 American Standard!!

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

Two things:

I don't suppose this ReUse Center deals in vintage toilets, do they?

Also, I love the look of old faucets, of which that sink seems to have a very nice pair. However, they never stick out far enough into the sink, I feel. It seems that there's plenty of empty sink space, but because the faucet is so close to the edge, my hands are always hitting the edge of the sink when I wash them. Am I crazy? Have you seen anyone who makes repro faucets that stick out a bit farther?

StuccoHouse said...

The ReUse Center does have vintage & newer toilets. In fact, they usally have a lot of them in stock. You are not crazy and I do agree that sometimes the vintage faucets are very close to the wall of the sink. The ones on the sink I ended up keeping are pretty long - but they are separate. I'm one of those people that just adapts, but I know it would drive a lot of people crazy. Chicago Faucets does make some nice vitnage style faucets. I used one on my vintage kitchen sink. Bought it through www.faucet.com.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin