Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Score 1, The Evil Squirrel

Spring has not sprung at StuccoHouse until the Evil Squirrel that lives in my back yard executes his first strategic attack of the season. This is a battle of Girl vs. Squirrel that has been waged since the day I moved into this house.

Each year, the Evil Squirrel cleverly plots to outdo his antics of the previous year. Sadly, each year he succeeds.

The first year I moved in, he celebrated Spring by digging holes six inches apart through my whole backyard with the lame excuse that he was looking for buried nuts. He followed this up by chewing through the corners of my roof to gain access to the soffits.

The second year I lived in the house, he waited until I let my guard down and then bit the heads of off all of my just bloomed tulips. Then he laid quietly in wait until I spent a kajillion on new bulbs for my garden, watched me lovingly plant them all, waited for me to go inside and then dug them all up and ate them. I couldn't believe it.

This year he has decided to attack early and attack hard. His target? My compost bin. Look what that little snot did. He chewed up the cover so that it no longer works. Everyone assures me that squirrels have no capacity to plot evil. However, there was nothing in this compost bin except dried leaves and old grass. Evil? I think so.

I'm sure this is not the last we have heard from the Evil Squirrel. I suspect he is eyeing my tulips and who knows what else.

Off I go to buy some hot pepper spray to give my tulips a fighting chance....

6 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I have found even pepper flakes work too to deter them- although it looks kind of funny scattered in the flower beds.

We have an evil squirrel in our parts too- his name is Scrappy. It's funny because alot of people google search the phrase "evil squirrel" and our site comes up- not sure why they are though- now yours will too!

Shauna said...

There's a good reason why they're referred to as "tree rats" around here.
Just a note as to the use of pepper/pepper spray or the more potent hot pepper varieties that are often used to deter these vermin -- it can cause the cute little buggers to claw at their eyes...
...you can debate amongst yourselves if that's a desirable affect...I'm not gonna go there

Maria said...

While I fully appreciate your situation, I had to laugh... it was a very entertaining post! (tee hee hee...snort!!)

Have you tried putting a feeder out in your yard just for him? Stock it with some of his favorites and invite him to dinner. Maybe he'll leave everything else alone. Then again, you might find he invites the family!

Kathie said...

I have two words...blood meal. Unless you have dogs. Squirrels HATE blood meal. Dogs love it. I spread it around my tomatoes in the summer and the squirrels leave them all alone...and as a bonus it adds nitrogen back into the soil. You can buy it at your local garden store. I have yet to figure out how to keep the squirrels from eating my garbage cans!!

StuccoHouse said...

I did try bloodmeal last year for raccoons (http://journals.aol.com/stuccohouse/blog/entries/635) It had an odd backlash right out of a Hitchock movie ;-)

Allison said...

I remember my dad waging a 15 year battle with squirrels when I was growing up. I can remember him coating the birdfeeder pole with vaseline, and watching with excitement as the squirrels slid down the pole... However, squirrels *always* win. I recommend giving up now while you still have some semblance of sanity...

takoma-bark.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin