Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Lawn

I've been studying this for a while. I think many city people have a different view of their lawn than suburbanites.

In suburbia it's all about having a lush, thick, uber healthy green lawn. In the city, its a combo of having a lawn healthy enough not to embarrass you....yet not so healthy that you need to mow it more than once a week.

So, this year I dethatched my grass and then laid down a dandelion killing fertilizer. I thought that in a week or so, I'd water. This would keep my lawn marginally healthy and dandelion free....yet not so nurished it would grow too fast.

You can imagine the mixed feeling that I am having watching a nice, unexpected, sinking rain come down over my freshly fertilized lawn this morning. Gasp, my lawn might be too healthy this year.

Someone needs to invent a grass hybrid that only grows 2" tall.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am in the process of attempting to get rid of quite a bit of my front lawn to put in a garden. But I live in the 'country', technically, so that's okay. :)

I hate lawns. They are wastes of time and money, in my opinion! (But that's just my opinion, of course.)

Greg said...

That is how I see it most of the time. I don't want it to look too bad, but then I don't want to mow, or edge it, or water it. A lot of times I want to get a back-hoe and just get rid of it. Formal gardens all over. (Yes, I know, I would have to care for the garden, but not in fantasy, I don't)

ben said...

you could just tether a goat out in the yard, then you'd never have to mow!

StuccoHouse said...

If it didn't mean scooping up goat poop and dealing with an onry animal when I wanted to use my backyard grill, I'd be all over that goat idea.

Yea, my garden is getting increasingly big each year. I don't mind mowing even with my reel mower, as long as I only have to do it once a week.

neon mamacita said...

About the hybrid grass, they're not too far off on getting that done. Scotts has genetically engineered a glyphosate-resistant turfgrass, and there is a hormone that can be controlled for grass height.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.04/turf.html

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

2"? I'd be happy with 6" - that's the maximum that the city I live in will allow before it becomes a "nuisance". Of course, it'll be even longer before they actually do anything.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin