Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Garden Diversions

I'm still on the hunt for a concrete guy. I'm in the throes of my search. I'm stressed and don't want to jinx anything, but will post on it all later.

So as a nice diversion, I'll let you know that the annual Friends School Plant Sale takes place this year on May, 12th, 13th and 14th. I'm not affiliated in any way with the school, but stumbled upon the sale somehow three years ago. It is huge.

I'm not a gardener. The first year I went to the sale, the sheer size of it and the enthusiasm of the shoppers freaked me out. I ended up with a few herbs. However, I learned a ton reading through their catalog (well worth downloading even if you don't attend their sale).

The second year I was better equipped to deal with it all and came home with a very nicely priced array of herbs and vegetables (including heirloom) for my garden. I have been generally impressed with the quality of plants. They for the most part have survived.....in spite of me. The quality has improved quite a bit since my first visit - I think this has to do with their move to the State Fair Grounds where the plants aren't sitting in the sun all day.

The third year, I outfitted my new vegetable garden with heirloom tomatos and herbs. When it was all said and done, I had 9' plants all weighed down with fruit and spices to make tomato sauce & pesto.

Last year I went to their Fall bulb sale and picked up a big bag of blubs (its kind of addicting). I planted them. My evil squirrel dug them all up. I cried. I re-planted the half eaten bulbs. I also purchased 5 peony plants - the good old-fashioned kind. Countryside Gardens, the peony grower, that was on hand patiently helped me pick out plants that were appropriate to my yard and then explained to me in great detail exactly how to keep my new purchases alive. Low and behold, each and every bulb & peony I purchased last fall has come up this Spring!

At any rate, highly recommended and a lot of fun!

3 comments:

Josh said...

I just picked up a brochure for this sale a couple weeks ago, but I've never been there. Thanks for the recommendation, we're planning to check it out.

kris said...

Mmmm, heirloom tomatoes. Thanks for the tip. We'll check it out this year.

StuccoHouse said...

If you go, absolutely bring your catalog with you - with the items you want tabbed. The place is huge and the item numbers are key to being able to actually find the plants you want. Any lilly or root plantings are along the back west wall - knowing this will save you a ton of time.

Also, if you have a wagon, bring it. Trust me on this one.

If you end up going, I'd be interested to hear what you think....and buy.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin