Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Little Church on the Hill

I'm an old house person. I like old buildings in general. When I'm driving down the street, I notice the old buildings and think they are cool. When I'm on vacation and there are tours to be taken of old houses, sign me up. And when there is an old building in dire straights, I worry.

A few weeks ago, I was told of a small church that had fallen on hard times. The church was built sometime in the 1920s by immigrants to a small MN town. When the congregation outgrew the church (and a town hall), it was left sitting peacefully on the hillside. Over time, the wood weathered, the foundation crumbled and the windows were broken.

In the hopes of finding the church (and the town hall) a new lease on life, the town held a silent auction. The highest bid would then own the building - and could move it to its new home. At the end of the bidding, the town hall had a new owner. The little church did not.

I think this little church is just the cutest thing. I have images of stained glass windows, a stone foundation and a wooded lot. It could be fitted with salvaged pews & old church lighting.

When I start talking, everyone here gives me looks indicating they think I am stark raving mad....mixed with just a little fear that I may be serious and could actually pull this off somehow. I tell ya.......if I had the money, I'd do it.

4 comments:

Josh said...

I know a church camp that might like to have a chapel building like this. If you care to share the location or contact information for the building, you can email me: jcmoberg@yahoo.com

StuccoHouse said...

I think the wish of the town is to keep it in their locale. Its of pretty big historical significance to them. But if I hear through the grapevine that this intent changes, I'll try to let you know :-)

K. said...

Check out Partners for Sacred Places, www.sacredplaces.org. They help historic churches all over the country, but they particularly have a program in MN and ND for historic rural "ethnic" (Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Ukrainian) churches. The website won't have much info, but a call or email will surely turn up a local MN contact. Best of luck!

Laurie said...

I love the pictures and the story. Thanks for sharing. Somehow it reminded me of my dad's minor obsession with outhouses. When growing up if we were driving around the country side, if he saw an outhouse he had to take a picture. I remember asking why, and he explained that someday there would be no more outhouses.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin