Saturday, March 11, 2006

Betsy-Tacy Houses

In my last years of elementary school I became interested in books. I read constantly. Harriet the Spy, The Borrowers, Nancy Drew....those same books little girls have read for decades.

One of my favorites was the Betsy-Tacy (and later Tib) series by Maud Hart Lovelace. They were two fictional little girls who became best friends and shared many secrets and adventures. Both of them lived in old Minnesota houses described in historical detail in the books.

Flash forward a lot of years (you though I was going to tell you how old I am?!). I was sitting around one lazy afternoon watching tv and happened upon a Hometime episode that caught my attention. Dean, the show's host, and his crew were on site in Mankato, MN at the request of The Betsy-Tacy Society. The Society had purchased the actual Betsy and Tacy houses (link to photos) written about in the books and wanted to restore them.

The Hometime episode featured the restoration of the entryway/porch to its original condition, replacing small, ugly replacement windows with nice original sized wood double hungs, and patching areas of the original clapboard that had rotted with new cedar clapboard. It was all done in the spirit of true restoration and was very interesting to watch. According to the Society, their next project is to retore the interiors of the houses based on the descriptions provided in the books. Very cool.

Makes me want to go back and re-read the books.....

2 comments:

Ann said...

I liked Besty, Tacy and Tib and read it over and over as a kid. My parents still have lots of my old things packed up in their basement and that's one book I wish that I had.

I'm all excited now to visit your links. ;)

Patricia W said...

Cool. I used to read the Katie John series of books and I remember how cool I thought her family's old house was.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin