Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Eeek - The Finale

I am happy to report that the mouse "situation" has been successfully resolved . I sealed the lattice work on the front steps with hardware cloth and then covered that with black aluminum window screening. It actually wasn't that difficult as I was able to staple it to the wood of the steps. It doesn't look terrible; in fact I don't know that you would notice it unless you knew to look for it. And like any good project, I ended up with a new tool - a heavy duty stapler.

Once again, I went over every square inch of my house with caulk gun in hand to seal up any little hole in the baseboards, crown moulding, cabinetry, etc. My kitchen has been nuked with a nice bleach solution. I am still trying to figure out how the studs in the walls don't prevent the critters from traveling the horizontal length of a wall. However, I am feeling much better about StuccoHouse.

I am a little embarrassed (yet relieved) to admit that what I thought were mice in the walls of my bedroom, upon further research, turned out to be birds flying south for the winter stopping in a noisy bunch on my rooftop for a few consecutive mornings. This happened to coincide with my mouse discovery. I am not a morning person and not able to process my world very accurately in the early moring hours. Birds landing sounded like mice crawling to me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;-)

Of course, the front steps (and gaping whole in the foundation wall that leads directly into my house) will be the first project on the Spring "to do" list. Let's just hope that my little screen repair holds out til Spring .

4 comments:

Greg said...

I had a bird on the roof scare the heck out of me Sunday morning. We have these Ravens around here that are the size of chickens. One landed on the aluminum rain gutter and was sharpening his beak or something. I thought someone was ripping something off my house. A terrible way to wake up.

StuccoHouse said...

Its amazing how the noise can amplify. I sat on the edge of my bed listening to 15-20 birds running around on the roof....thinking it was mice. All I could think was - crap what am I gonna do now? I'm not a cat person, but I am not too proud to admit to standing in the mall outside the pet store that afternoon eyeing the kittens for way too long.

saple said...

So Glad it is resolved, but I hope you left the traps out because it is true there is never just one....

StuccoHouse said...

Yea, traps still remain everywhere. I am one of those - trust but verify - people. Seems my subconsious is a little less sure that the problem has been "resolved." I woke up with a huge headache on Sun. It seems I was listening way too intently for mouse noises in my sleep.

Today, I have the oh-so-icky task of putting traps in my attic area. That place freaks me out on its own....much less without the possibility of running into fast crawling rodents.

Sorry to whine about this, but this one has me traumatized.

I'm considering starting to befriend the feral cats that live in our alley. Then having a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" chat with them. Some insurance, I figure.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin