Tuesday, October 18, 2005

It's all in the Numbers

They look so simple. An obvious way to number screen and storm windows in order to know which window they fit into each season when you change them.

Who knew they would save so much time?! After spending hours each year trying to get my storms to fit into the correct window frames like an "advanced" puzzle......only to do it again at the change of seasons.....I ran across these wonders in an old house stuff catalog.

I ordered them and last Spring and as I exchanged out the storms for screens, I nailed them into the frames.....and the window sills.

And this Fall I reaped the rewards. Instead of the usual 2 hour job.....I had all the storms in their proper places in 20 minutes. So, simple.

5 comments:

Patricia W said...

That is so neat! I'll have to keep that in mind when I build new storms for my house.

ben said...

Where did you find them? We have them on most of our windows but are missing several and none of the screens have them.

StuccoHouse said...

Ben - I ordered them through www.HouseofAntiqueHardware.com

ben said...

Checked out the website, looks like some good stuff. But our numbers go up into double digits and are made out of pewter(?) or some sort of dull gray material. Too bad vinyl replacement windows are all the rage or else somebody would still be making this stuff.

StuccoHouse said...

The nails are made out of brass. They run 0 through 9. I think you could use them w/ double digits...you could use two nails...or just make the numbers obvious (i.e. put the first "2" on a small window and the second "2" on a large window). I agree its too bad they don't make a letter version instead of numbers. I supoose the more companies that see there is a market for this kind of stuff, the more that will make reproductions of the old stuff. It took me a while to find these....I'll keep an eye out for a dull gray version.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin