Friday, September 30, 2005

Tiptoe Through the Tulips

The Friends School of Minnesota Third Annual Bulb sale is this Saturday from 10:00am to 4:00pm. The bulb sale is held at the school building at 1365 Englewood Ave., St. Paul (not far from Hamline University)

I'm not affiliated with this organization in any way, but have gone to their Spring plant sale for the past few years and have had a lot of fun and have been impressed by their prices and plants. The tomato and bleeding heart plants that I purchased from them last Spring have been very sturdy. So, I imagine the bulb sale would be just as fun.

They took preorders this year, but I was out of town the week of the deadline and missed it. So, I plan to go and just see what they have available. This year they also have peonies.....which I hope to add to my garden.

Even if you can't make the sale, you can download their catalogs from their website. They are a wealth of knowledge and really fun to look through. In addition to describing the plants, there are some interesting articles. As a novice gardener, I learned a lot reading through them because they are aimed at Minnesota gardeners.

3 comments:

Amy J. Fanter said...

I didn't read through the whole catalog, but do you know if they ship out of state? I live in Northern Nevada and the climate here is pretty cold in the winter (not as cold as Minnesota but still). I thought the prices in the catalog were fantastic.

StuccoHouse said...

They have a blub sale one day in the Fall and a plant sale for a weekend in the Spring. It's a school fundraiser, so my guess is that they don't ship, but you could email them and ask. I know they buy directly from the growers, so the school may be able to provide more info. The plant sale in the Spring is the largest (I believe) in MN and gets a LOT of traffic. I have always been impressed by the plants and the prices seem reasonable to me too.

Amy J. Fanter said...

Thanks for letting me know. I'll see if I can get a hold of them and find out.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin