Friday, September 09, 2005

I Did a Bad, Bad Thing

I will start off by stating in my defense....I have made an effort since I moved in to meet and chat with on a regular basis.....those neighbors living on all sides of me.

I know the statistics. In neighborhoods where neighbors are active and know one another, crime falls. One way to get people involved is to have neighborhood get togethers. I know this and I agree with it. Besides, it's just nicer to live in a friendly atmosphere.

That's what makes this so shameful to admit. My neighborhood picnic is tonight. I can't force myself to go. The thought of walking across the street with a pan of brownies (which I blew off making this afternoon anyway) and making awkward small talk with my neighbors about their kids is just not my forte. I want to unequivocally state these people are perfectly lovely and this is all about me being the bad apple, not them. Although, I have noticed that the other neighborhood singles also seem to make themselves scarce during these events....so, maybe I'm not totally alone in this.

Who knows. At any rate, for the record, I feel really bad and guilty. And I will have to slink around the 'hood this weekend holding my head down in shame (humming Chris Isaak - for those of you that recognized the title :-).

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I myself am terribly anti-social in a different arena- work-related get togethers. I always want to get the heck out of dodge after work and more time with the people I work with just never draws me.

I feel bad sometimes, but also usually it involves drinking and being a non-drinker, it's a dud for me at times.

I can understand avoiding the nuclear family scene too.

I love Chris Isaak too.

StuccoHouse said...

The wierd thing is that I'm usually pretty social. I can't explain it (I skipped the ice cream social this summer too). I have only myself to blame now if I can't find a neighborhood kid to shovel snow this winter.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin