Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Drip, Drip, Drip

The previous owner of my house remodeled the bathroom. Notice I did not say restore or refurbish.

There are things about it I like. I like the white tile with the black subway trim. I like the fact that they removed the window trim before putting up drywall, so the trim is at the proper level. The original hex tiles are still there.

There are things I just can't figure out. Why on earth would you think it is ok to put a wood "shim platform" under the sink so you don't have to do anything with the pipes? Wouldn't it have been easier just to leave the old wall sink there? Why would you buy a new toilet that allows only 5 inches of clearance to the tub....forcing everyine to sit sideways? What on earth were they thinking when they bought those lights?

...And then there are those things that I continue to discover over the years. The coat of latex paint that was slapped over the oil paint w/o prep (yea, its now peeling). The windows (same latex)...painted shut.....which made my ongoing window restoration a pain in the neck. The heater grate moved upstairs.

Today I added another to the list. Shortly after taking a shower this morning, I went downstairs. Directly below the tub there were water droplets on the floor. I panicked thinking the tub drain pipe blew out again (yup, I said again - that was a whole ugly story I'll retell when I'm to the point of being able to laugh about it).....but upon closer inspection I realized the drain pipe was ok. I pondered over the water most of the afternoon.

All of a sudden it dawned on me. I went into the bathroom and unscrewed the spigot, water handles and shower head. As suspected, behind each was an open hole. So, for the past three+ years.....water has been falling from the shower head down on the handles & spigot and then following the pipe and dripping back down in the hole behind the wall.....to the basement.

Nice. Off I went to pick up some plumber's putty to seal the holes.

It's these kinds of things that make me crazy....watch for a "we don't need no stinkin ruler or drywall tape...." post one of these days.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I had to laugh at the post about the toliet position given that the door to our "new" bathroom had a piece cut out so it would clear the toliet-who does this stuff?? I didn't even notice it until the day after closing. We really can't figure out how the bathroom was originally, the clawfoot tub is original but we've spent months now scheming about what to do with the space. Once the fixtures were removed, it was determined that the tub had to go along the short wall of the bathroom-3 inches shorter then the tub itself-and a small area will be bumped out into the closet. If we put the tub along the long wall, there wouldn't enough room to squeeze between the sink and the tub. Trying to avoid major, major plumbing work, seems to be a decent solution. We have to rotate the toliet so that the door will really close. It's so sad as it's an original door to the house, but I think it can be repaired... Kim

Blog Widget by LinkWithin