Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Water, Water Everywhere

Here is my latest purchase. No, its not jewelry. No, its not a new outfit.

It is a brand spankin new lawn faucet and inside stop valve. Green to match (some of) my house trim. Only an old house person could get excited about this.

After 82 years of loyal service, the original spigot and inside pipe/turn off valve gave up the ghost. While my garden plants liked the slow leak of water coming out of my garden hose, I was not thrilled with my last month's water bill. I'm pretty thrilled at not having to stand in the basement anymore chanting "righty-tighty, lefty-loosy" anymore while trying to turn off my water overhead.















I have used the same plumber for a number of years (except for one bad, bad experience elsewhere). He heeded the call the day after I closed on my house when the kitchen faucet blew (the previous owner had held that together by sheer will power until an hour or so after closing). He also arrived on my doorstep post haste when I used way-too-strong drain cleaner on my bathtub and it ate through one of the few remaining old pipes and spewed acid all over my basement (lesson learned). So I was pleased, but not surprised, when he told me he could fix my outdoor spigot on the same day I called.

This plumber knows how to work on old houses, he answers my questions, he endures my purist side that insists on keeping my old fixtures (even if parts are hard to find), he works hard to get me into his schedule and his prices are reasonable. For those of you in my neck of the woods, Lakes Area Home Improvement.

Well, now I am off to pick up my second-latest purchase. New brake pads and rotars. Does the fun ever stop?!

3 comments:

Greg said...

Oooh baby, that is one sweet valve! I put the exact same shut-off valve on my house last year. It makes working on plumbing so much easier. The city valve at the street is so old that it will never turn all the way off. No matter what I did there was always a trickle of water when I worked on the house's plumbing.

Jocelyn said...

I know what you mean. I used to highlight my hair and get manicures- but I think I'm better off now :)

I just love the feeling of bringing a house back and those little things like your new faucet make a big difference.

StuccoHouse said...

Yea, its sad how exciting that was for me. Last night at 9:30pm I was out in my yard turning the new faucet on and off. Just sad.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin