Sunday, August 14, 2005

Organized Basement

Typical of bungalows in my neighborhood, my house has a fairly large, unfinished basement. Perfect for storing a lot of crap :-) Unfortunately, in my house that crap had started to form big piles on the floor in all corners.

When I first moved into my house 2+ yrs ago, I immediately made a trip to Menards to purchase a bunch of sturdy metal shelving. The shelves turned out to be a little more difficult (huge understatement) to assemble than they promised on the packaging. I managed to get 5 units up and then stalled. The boxed shelving then sat in a corner until today.

Well, this afternoon I had some willing & motivated help. All told, we managed to assemble 4 more units. Yeah! Yippie, I can see my floors again!



5 comments:

ben said...

I think shelving would only encourage more things to be burried in our basement. Most of it is "yard sale" items anyways.

StuccoHouse said...

Ah, yes, the temptation is there to bury even more down there. But, in all fairness I can a lot of my garden produce and two of the shelves have canned goods on them :-) Another shelf is filled with my stained glass stuff.....

Jocelyn said...

I think we have the same shelves in our basement. We have alot of "stuff" that is waiting till certain rooms are done to be freed from basement banishment. Case in point: pantry and library/den.

Are those the "screw-less" shelves that require only a hammer to put together?

Aaron said...

Hey-lovely shelves lady! Don't forget to go to Menard's 10% off sale this week! I'll be going shopping this week...but not for shelves...my basement is going to require a 10-yard dumpster. And a shop-vac.

StuccoHouse said...

Yup, those are the "screwless" shelves. There came a point in their assembly where I desperately wished they *had* screws. Lots of cramming square pegs into round holes and then hammering until metal bent. Although, the second batch of boxes were machined a little better....

Menards. I suppose I will have to end the little one person boycott I have been carrying out against them in order to use the 10% off coupon to buy my kitchen ceiling tiles ;-) Last time I was there the teenage checkout girl, didn't bag half of my purchase. No reason. No other customers. Just didn't do it. I realized it after I got home. When I drove back to the store and oh-so-nicely asked her where the rest of my purchase was she told me (and I quote) "don't be giving me no attitude." I decided I needed a break from them for a while.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin