Friday, July 08, 2005

Racoons, Blood Meal and other Horrors

I've had racoons prowling my yard this summer.  I didn't realize how big the problem was until I heard screaming outside of my window in the wee hours one morning and when I looked outside, saw a pack of 6 racoons in some kind of turf war.  Of course, this was taking place near my beloved garden.

So, in my ever escalating war against wildlife, I went to my local garden store to ask their advice.  Without hesitation, they recommended "blood meal" as a sure fire deterant to racoons.  Sounded good to me.  They pointed me towards a neat little white bag, I paid my bill and off I went.

This week I actually got around to applying it.  In reading the directions, the horror hit me.  This was DRIED BLOOD.  A BAG OF DRIED BLOOD.  Of course it would deter racoons.....it would deter anything.  I am a city girl....my mind does not work like this.  I sat out in my lawn chair for a long time.....and debated what to do.  I finally decided that if a bag of dried blood would get rid of the racoons threatening my garden......then a bag of dried blood it would be.

I know myself well enough though to know that I couldn't put the "blood meal"  directly in my garden.  Eating a tomato or cucumber that I know was raised on blood isn't something I could do.  So, I sprinkled that bag on the lawn surrounding my gardens.  I am sure my neighbors wondered what the hell was going on watching me sprinkle this bag of red powder and gagging.  Or maybe they don't even wonder anymore.

As it turns out, DRIED BLOOD does deter night time wildlife.  But it does attract flocks of big, scary crows that smell road kill.  Its like a scene out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie.  They land loudly on my roof in the morning and then spend the day circling the yard during the day.  Live and learn.

Now, maybe I can get back to working on my house......

3 comments:

erg1976 said...

That is gross and fascinating all at the same time.

jmm922 said...

This is hilarious. I am a city girl too and I had no clue blood meal would work I always thought that would attract vermin but I guess that's just bone meal.

what an image: racoons in a turf war- HA! Ha!

stuccohouse said...

Yea, it is a little funny to me now (it wasn't at the time).  Yes, also oddly interesting. However, yesterday when I turned the sprinkler on in my backyard the only thing I could think of was that the dried blood was going to reconstitute itself and stick to the bottom of my flip flops.  It's been an odd summer.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin