Sunday, July 24, 2005

Changes in Attitude, Changes in Lattitude

I am bored to tears working on my house. Bored. To. Tears.

I have lots of projects to get done and can't bring myself to work on any of them. I just don't have the will.

I'm tired of stuff half done. I'm tired of stepping over boxes. I'm tired of a dishwasher on wheels. I tired of spending every waking free moment doing house stuff. There, I have said it.

The plan was to tear down my yucky kitchen ceiling this weekend and finish painting my upstairs. Ha. What actually got done was a few bike rides around my neighborhood, a trip to the mall, and a lot of just wasting time. Omg, this is what I have become in my quest to avoid working on my house.

A few days ago I was reading an intersting blog by someone that just had finished their upstairs expansion. They expressed surprise that they were able to live in their house for 3 yrs without getting some of their more important projects completed. 3 yrs!, I though to myself. I felt sorry for them. Then the horror of it hit me. I will have been in my house 3 yrs on October. 3 yrs. My pity for that blog writer became pity/disdain for myself.

I'm going through what I think is an "Opportunity Cost" phase. What am I missing out on while I devote my energy to this house? (I'm sure my accounting teacher would be minorly impressed what I remembered the concept). I used to travel. I used to travel a lot. I miss it. I'm suddenly missing it a lot.

I have a suspicion that this is all brought on by the allignment of a few different factors: 1) listening to too much Jimmy Buffett (Buffettheads, will probably recognize that my past few posts have modified versions of the titles of his songs); 2) Stumbling across too many eposides of
Globe Trekker in the wee hours of the morning; 3) the never shortening list of things to do in my house; 4) very vague memories of having fun in the distant past; 5) the realization I don't have the stamina/drive that other house bloggers do.

I need to get away. I need a road trip. Or a plane trip. If my passport gets to come, all the better.

7 comments:

Greg said...

Well, the subtitle to your blog is “The ups and downs of restoring a 1924 bungalow”, and I guess this is one of the downs. Everybody hits a wall now and then. Take the trip. Have fun. And always remember to laugh. Because as the song goes, “If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane”.

Becky said...

When I get to feeling like this I like to go to a bed and breakfast and send subliminal messages to the house. "I am soooooo much happier here. Maybe I'll move in and leave you to fall into the heap of scrap wood you would have if it wasn't for me. Or you could burn like all of your neighbors so some farmer can farm 2 more acres. Haha, I don't miss you at all!" I don't know if she hears me, but it makes me feel better :)

jm@houseinprogress said...

I second the vote for a weekend escape to a B&B. I have to do this or hang out at our in-laws house for awhile. Your mind and body are telling you to take a break. Force yourself to leave the house alone for a few days. Give yourself a mini vacation :)

dnagrl said...

Its the summer 'blahs'. I get them every year, too. I resign myself to a holding pattern from July to after Labor Day, then back at it for the rest of the year. I like to look at catalogs and harvest ideas in the A/C and vacation if I can afford it. Maybe even hire out the stuff that needs it, but avoid expending my own energy.
Your house looks cute- how could it cause such distress?

Ciao!

Jocelyn said...

Sometimes, one just has to get out of the house and stay somewhere else for even a short while. It really helps. It's so all-consuming living in your project- I know. We went to MI for Memorial weekend and it was very refreshing. It's hard to work all week and then work the weekend too- I know. Definitely, do something nice for yourself.

If you are like me, you see all that needs to be done. Sometimes we need to stop and realize all we have accomplished and hard though it may be -try to enjoy it. After all, to use the cliche:Rome wasn't built in a day.

StuccoHouse said...

I lived through my little melt down. Thanks for the encouragement :-)

I put the heat gun away. I cleaned up some of my project piles. I had some appletinis. I browsed the pages of Lonely Planet. I layed on my couch and watched Rock StarINXS.

I ignored the rain pouring over the sides of the gutters tonight and didn't even check the basement for water.

I feel loads more optimistic :-)

Jocelyn said...

glad to hear it. Been there!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin