Thursday, June 30, 2005

Kitchen, the ongoing saga

Last night I did some canning.  Mango-Blueberry-Frangelico sauce.  While the jars boiled away in their boiling water bath, I had a few minutes (20 to be exact) to reflect on my kitchen.  I will warn you now, this entry is a stream of thought thing....

My kitchen has been an ongoing "thing."  I hestitate to call it a "project" because I don't think activity levels warrant that term yet.

We pulled down the 1970's oak cabinets last summer.  I have tested the old ceiling tiles for asbestos.  I purchased the wallpepr, lights and paint.  I located a place that will make custom maple/birch moulding to match the existing and replace the missing sections.  I cleaned (gag) and repainted/stenciled all of the cabinet interiors.  We replaced the wall sink faucet so the water no longer splashed directly over the edge. I have managed to locate some replacement drawer pulled at Restoration Hardware only to discover their quaility was crap and have the screws snap off in the drawers. And I have started to slowly strip the old shellac from the original cabinets and reshellac them.  This has been a 2.75 yr process.

Still the majority of the work still needs to be done.  Like all old house projects, one step hinges on 25 other steps.  This drives my friends and family crazy - they are get it done type people.  I am a take my time and get it exactly the way I want it....and aren't there a jillion things to do besides housework....type person.

So, today I took one more tiny step.  I pulled down a strip of the painted crown moulding (this needs to be removed to get to the old tile) to see if it is old or new.  Much to my relief, it is new wood.    I say this with mixed feelings, because if it was old wood....being a purist.....I would have needed to strip off the paint and shellac it to reinstall after the new ceiling has been installed.  This way, I won't have that nagging guilt when I go buy new maple crown moulding.  Of course, there are all of those miter cuts..... 

2 comments:

fitzzer said...

Mmm....your sauce sure sounds yummy ~ Lori

stuccohouse said...

The sauce is beyond good....especially on ice cream. I probably shouldn't admit it, but this is the second batch I have made this summer.  It comes from the book "Small-Batch Preserving" by Ellie Topp & Margaret Howard.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin