Thursday, April 07, 2005

Garden

I am determined to have a big vegetable & herb garden this year.  Last year a combination of man & nature rooked me of my harvest.  This year I am older & wiser :-)

I've learned that one should plant their gardens in the own back yard.....and believe the weatherman when he predicts a hard frost, even if it is Aug.  I have an empty freezer and a stack of canning jars ready to go.

So, with much optimism I started a huge bunch of seeds yesterday afternoon.  Basil, zucchini, asperagus, peppers (all kinds), cabbage, rosemary, thyme and broccoli.  I also found some rhubarb starters (not the technical term, I'm sure).  I figure our growing season is so short here anything I can do to get the upper hand will help.

I've also been scoping out my back yard for the best place for a big garden.  Turns out the best asthetic place for a garden is not the best growing spot.  In the photos, I'd like to put the garden on the right of the fence gate, but this area is shaded by a big oak tree.  So, I am now considering putting the garden straight up from the garage.  I know its still a little early, but I picked up a shovel, marking paint and some Round Up at Menards.  I am ready to go.

Last year I did have a very sucessful herb/tomato garden on the side of my house.  I plan on expanding that a few feet too.  Can one ever have enough pesto?  I'll move the tomatos to the back yard.

Next for consideration......flowers.

3 comments:

caroljoshnick said...

I do not know where you are located.  When I had a 20 by 20 foot garden in Cincinnati I prepared a trough about one ft. deep and 6 feet long, put in a good soil mix and ordered asparagus roots from a catalog.  I covered the roots with the soil and then leaves.  The next spring, I had a few shoots.. the next year after that the shoots popped up like crazy from Spring through Fall.

I think it will take forever to grow asparagus from seeds, I hope you are young.

stuccohouse said...

I'm in MN :-)  I did hunt down some root starters and also tried some from seed.  I just about died when I learned it would take 3 yrs to be able to harvest.  Keeping them alive for three yrs will be a challenge!!

froggieluvspod41 said...

HELLO YOUE BLOG IS VERY INTERESTING AND WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW IS WHY DO SQURRIELS EAT THE HEADS OF THE TULIPS , I NOTICED  THEY EAT MINE LAST YEAR, I ALMOST CRYED. I DONT KNOW WHATS WITH THE SQURRIELS THEY EAT EVERYTIHNG LOL YOU HAVE  A VERY NICE BLOG AND I WILL KEEP UP WITH IT-FROGGIELUVSPODS AOL GOD BLESS YOU

Blog Widget by LinkWithin