Thursday, March 03, 2005

Habitat for Humanity

I signed up today to work on a Habitat for Humanity house for three days in April.  I've done this a few times in the past and always had great fun.  I have serious cabin fever right now and figured this was a good way to get out in the sun and do something out of my regular routine.

Before you go thinking about what a good volunteer I am, I should confess a tiny ulterior motive.  Turns out working on an HFH house teaches you a whole lot about house construction....and that is very helpful in owning an old house.  I have a really hard time looking at my house and imagining what is behind the plaster walls....and the stucco exterior.  It's pretty enlightening to see how a house actually goes together.

Last time I worked on a HFH house, I nailed shingles on a roof (yikes), put up vinyl siding (yea, I know), and applied a stucco finish to a foundation.  I would have never had the guts and/or inclination to give these tasks a try.......without being under the watchful eye of the HFH contractor that made sure nothing truly bad was going to happen to me or the house.

Its also just kind of nice to get out and work on something that is *not* your house for a day or two.

Now I'm just hoping for sun for those three days........

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin