Friday, February 11, 2005

Prices

When I sold my condo, I got into the habit of keeping track of the selling price of houses in my neighborhood. I still do it. Its fun to see how much money you are making :-) I also think its a good thing for a homeowner to know.

I keep track of "for sale" signs in my neighborhood. I also quickly scan the open house ads in the Sunday paper. Periodically I go on MLS (multiple listing service) and really check out the houses for sale and their prices.

This is interesting, but its also fun. Some of the services allow you to look at "virtual tours" of the inside of the houses. So, you can see how other people decorate their bungalow.....or you can see the layout of other houses.....or you can see the terrible remuddling job that explains why the house has been on the market for a year. Its like going to a bunch of open houses.....without having to get up early or out of your jammies.

Almost every realtor has MLS access on their website. Anyone that knows me, knows I am not a fan of realtors as a whole (I like the for sale by owner process). So, this is in no promo for a realtor. But, the best MLS access I have found is via Edina Realty. They have a very nice search function.

If you limit your search to houses built between 1900 and 1930, you end up with a nice list that is heavy on bungalows. Then its just a matter of getting a cup of coffee, going down the results list and snooping away :-)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin