Monday, February 14, 2005

Organization

It's pretty common advice amongst old house folk that a person should live in their house for a while before making any drastic changes. Sometimes the house tells you what it wants. I have found this to be true in many cases. This advice also saves you from ripping something out in haste in your first week in a house only to cry over it for years after it has hauled away to the dump.

My kitchen has been disorganized since I moved in. One of the main areas of disarray are my cabinets. The top cabinets are quite shallow - pretty typical for a house of this vintage. I had been storing dishes in the upper cabinets and food things in the lower cabinets. One stack of plates took up most of the space in one cabinet....and in the lower cabinets I could never quite see what I had stored there.

One day last week it hit me clear as day. The food stuff (spices, soups, boxed food) could fit so neatly in the upper cabinets. I just needed to go to Target and buy those little cabinet "steps." Sure enough, I was able to transfer the entire contents of a bottom cabinet into to half of the shelves of the much smaller upper cabinets. And now my dishes are nealty stacked in the lower cabinets.

The house told me what it wanted :-) I can't believe it took me this long to figure out what it was saying.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin