Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Defeat

When the wild animal living in the wall cavity of your house has a name, you have admitted two things:
1) Your animal exclusion attempts have sadly failed.
2) You have lost faith in your ability to get the little guy to move out.....ever.

My bat's name is Russel (really Rustle, but who wants to burden their children with oddly spelled names?). He has now lived in my wall for the entire time I have lived in the house....and probably long before that.

During my time in this house I have sucessfully rid it of countless squirrels, a racoon, flying squirrels, an ocassional spider and garden grubs. Russel has defied even my best efforts.

To give you an idea of his cleverness, in spite of spending two years carefully studying this I have been unable to even figure out how he even enters his home. He's confined to wall space in a corner between two studs, behind lathe and plaster and surrounded by blown in insulation.....and I'll be damned if I can figure out how he gets in & out.

I have spent hours standing in my side yard staring at the wall.......additional hours on a ladder staring at the roof and gutter. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts. Last summer I had a friend nail down the eaves shingles (I'm afraid of heights) on my roof. In desperation, I even called a "professional." He told me no animal could be getting in there, took my estimate money and left (the rat).

In this process, I find I have become a tiny bit attached to the little guy and will even admit to worrying when I didn't hear him for a few nights in a row.

What's that saying.....when you can't beat 'em, join 'em :-)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin